Hotel at a Glance: Clear Lake Cottages & Marina
This lakeside resort extends from a string of boat slips to a collection of homey cottages. It has the tucked-away feel of a secluded lakeside village; you can spend a tranquil afternoon sitting out on your cottage’s private deck and sip wine under the stars. Select units have decks with great views of Clear Lake.
- Added perks: two-hour kayak rental for two and a bottle of wine
- Recent award: a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2014
- Cottage amenities: patio or deck and free WiFi; some units also have kitchens
- Outdoor fun: kayaking, hiking, bird watching, swimming, and fishing
- Have a cookout on one of the barbecue grills.
- Gather around the fire pit to share stories and gaze up at the stars. You can see Clear Lake in the distance.
The wine included with this package is an award-winning varietal created by Shannon Ridge Family of Wines. Across the lake from the cottages and overlooking Anderson Marsh State Park at the southern end of Clear Lake, you’ll find Vigilance Vineyards, home of the Shannon Ridge Family of Wines tasting room. Owners Clay and Margarita Shannon offer a special combination of Lake country hospitality and a stunning portfolio of wines to sample. There are tasting flights available from Shannon Ridge, Vigilance Vineyards, High Valley Vineyards, Dalliance, and Playtime.
Lake County, California: Wine Destination near California’s Largest Natural Lake
Like its neighbors in Napa Valley, Lake County is obsessed with wine. The soil here is highly conducive to grape-growing, thanks largely to Mount Konocti, a nearby volcano. Vintners took note, and the area now has more than two dozen wineries.
The geothermal activity of Mount Konocti is also said to help create a nutrient-rich environment in local Clear Lake. Partially due to this phenomenon, the lake produces larger-than-average bass; in fact, many fishermen refer to Clear Lake as the Bass Capital of the West. More than just fish enjoy the waters—when it’s warm, the lake attracts water-skiers and wakeboarders.