Hotel at a Glance: Creekstone Inn
Creekstone Inn prides itself on customer service and affordable luxury, along with easy access to the area’s hiking, biking, shopping, and restaurants. Individually decorated rooms add rustic charm. Though there’s a fireplace in almost every room, you can also relax by the giant stone hearth in the lobby. If looking to warm up with a cup of coffee, the world-famous Cafe Aroma is just 150 yards away.
- Be your own chef by firing up the communal gas grill or whipping up a meal in the large shared kitchen.
- Mountain views: From the inn’s private lookout point, you can take in breathtaking panoramas of Tahquitz Peak and Lily Rock in peace and quiet.
- Explore the great outdoors: Creekstone Inn lends permits for all the state parks in the area, providing access to hundreds of hiking trails.
- Take a break with a nice warm cup of tea or cocoa, available 24 hours a day.
- On a rainy day, shoot some pool in the game room.
Idyllwild, California: Four Seasons in the San Jacinto Mountains
Snowy peaks dot the horizon in winter and brisk breezes blow in spring and autumn in Idyllwild. When you consider the fact that Idyllwild lies just an hour’s drive from the blistering California desert, snow can be a surprising sight.
The city’s unique position in the San Jacinto Mountains makes it a superb destination for both relaxing and adventuring in the outdoors. Celebrities such as Dolly Parton and Sean Connery have taken to the area’s secluded feel, as it’s just a quick escape from LA. The town is also flanked by two huge rock formations—Tahquitz Peak and Suicide Rock—which are popular attractions for California climbers.