Property at a Glance: Crystal Cove Villas
Frommer’s named Sapphire Beach on Saint Thomas’s East End one of the best beaches in the Virgin Islands for its family-friendly watersports and views of the nearby island of Saint John. As a guest at Crystal Cove Villas, a gated community located inside the Sapphire Beach Resort complex, you’ll have front-row access to the award-winning sands. Rental-gear shops line the shore here, so there are also plenty of opportunities to enjoy snorkeling, diving, and some of the best windsurfing on the island. This Getaway also includes a $60 credit toward a thrill ride on a turbocharged jet boat.
- Condo-style villas feature fully equipped kitchens and private balconies with ocean views.
- Dine on Irish pub food: Use your $25 dining credit toward Irish staples at Molly Molone’s.
- The saltwater pool is a great place to soak up the Caribbean sun.
- Stock up on duty-free goods in the small coastal town of Red Hook, located a mile from the hotel.
- Break a sweat on the hotel’s lighted tennis courts or at the fitness center on nearby Sugar Bay.
Saint Thomas, US Virgin Islands: World-Famous Beaches and Duty-Free Shopping District
The most populous of the US Virgin Islands—and also the most visited—is Saint Thomas, known for offering some of the Caribbean’s best water recreation. Scuba divers flock to the island’s more than 30 dive sites, where networks of coral tunnels teem with parrotfish and turtles. The pristine waters are also ideal for fishing, boating, and windsurfing, but many visitors who come to Saint Thomas never leave the shore. That’s because the island has miles of white-sand beaches, including heart-shaped Magens Bay, which National Geographic hailed as 1 of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world.
Saint Thomas also has a well-deserved reputation as the duty-free shopping mecca of the Caribbean thanks to its capital city, Charlotte Amalie. Here, centuries-old Danish buildings house more than 400 shops selling tax-free jewelry, clothing, and imported china. You can even haggle with shopkeepers to get a lower price than what’s posted. But despite the hustle and bustle, the shopping district maintains a mostly charming atmosphere thanks to its cobblestone pathways and sidewalk cafés. For locally made trinkets and artwork, head to the Native Arts & Crafts Cooperative, where nearly 90 artisans spread out over a single brick building.
Charlotte Amalie also contains many historical landmarks, including a 17th-century Danish fort as well as the Emancipation Garden, where it was announced in 1848 that all the island’s slaves would be freed.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to travel to the hotel from the airport? The best airport to fly in/out of is Cyril E. King Airport (STT) and transportation can be scheduled directly through the front desk at (800) 524-2038. Travel time from the airport to the hotel is approximately 20 minutes one-way.
2. Is there an additional occupancy fee, or do I have to purchase another Groupon? The standard occupancy of the one-bedroom suite is two adults; however, two additional guests can be added: $30 per night per additional guest 12 or older; kids 11 or younger stay free.
3. Will I be approached to attend a timeshare sales presentation? Groupon customers are never obligated to attend a sales presentation. If you are approached and decline a presentation, you will not lose the value of your Groupon or have to pay additional fees.
4. Which activities and amenities are included in the resort credits? Resort credit is not offered with this deal.
5. Are dinner reservations required for restaurants? Is there a dress code? Dinner reservations are available at Molly Molone’s; however, they are not required at any of the other restaurants. The dress code at Molly Molone’s is casual.