Mountain Resort with Skiing, Snowshoeing, and Ice Skating
From roughly mid-December to mid-March, it’s a veritable winter wonderland at Crystal Mountain, a four-seasons resort located near the western shoreline in northern Michigan. There’s more than 11 feet of average annual snowfall in the area, and snowmaking capability across 98% of the resort’s terrain. The namesake mountain is littered with 45 downhill slopes, 27 of which are lit up for nighttime skiing. Snowboarders will find more than a day’s worth of recreation across four terrain areas.
There’s a lot to do beyond hitting the slopes. Skate around the ice rink on the inn’s front lawn, zip across 25 miles of groomed cross-country trails, or strap on a pair of snowshoes to explore densely forested valleys. A more leisurely horse-drawn surrey ride includes hot cocoa and a trip around the resort’s grounds in a carriage led by a team of Belgian horses.
After a day spent outside, you can retreat to homey guest rooms. Choose Hamlet for a central location, close to the indoor pool and the fitness center’s group classes. The Pinehurst residence is more isolated, ensconced in pines along the 18th fairway of the onsite Betsie Valley golf course. Crystal Colony is just steps from the mountain and the 18,500-square-foot Crystal Spa.
Thompsonville, Michigan: Resort Town with Snowshoe Trails and Dogsledding
Thompsonville is a small town in northern Michigan’s Benzie County, best known as the home of Crystal Mountain. Luckily, the 1,500-acre resort offers a wide range of attractions. Thirty of those acres are the dedicated site of the Michigan Legacy Art Park, a wooded preserve that showcases more than 40 sculptures and poetry stones. You can trek through the park on a 1.6-mile multipurpose trail, designated for hiking or snowshoeing, depending on the weather.
The resort’s reservation staff can also help coordinate dogsledding trips, which are run by Crystal Mountain’s partner OCM Mushing. Snowmobilers can enjoy easy access to Michigan’s Department of Natural Resources Trail 391, which leads to a network of other well-maintained trails.
What You Get
One-night stay for two
- Option 1: $80 to check in Monday–Wednesday (up to a $159 value)
- Option 2: $90 to check in Thursday–Sunday (up to a $169 value)
- Option 3: $129 to check in Monday–Wednesday, with two full-day lift tickets (up to a $259 value)
- Option 4: $149 to check in Thursday–Sunday, with two full-day lift tickets (up to a $279 value)
Book by: 1/18/13
Travel by: 4/30/13
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
Amenities and Room Details
- Downhill skiing and snowboarding
- Complimentary use of ice rink
- Snowshoe and cross-country ski trails
- Indoor pool, hot tub, and fitness classes
- Two restaurants and a grocery store
- Onsite spa
In All Included Rooms:
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 4
- Adding occupants above standard: $20 for each additional guest 18 or older; no charge for additional guests 17 or younger
- Satellite TV
- Free WiFi
Hamlet and Colony Standard
- Two queen beds or one queen bed with one queen Sico wall bed
- One queen bed
- Check in: 5 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Resort fee includes: see all included amenities here
- Parking: free
- Rollaways: available for $15 per night
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: pets may be added for $50 per stay; request during booking.
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are available upon request during booking.
- Room upgrades: upgrades may be available at check-in for an additional cost.
- By plane: 1 mile from Thompsonville Airport (7Y2); about 140 miles from Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR)
- By cab: about $10 from 7Y2
- By car: 130 miles north of Grand Rapids
The Fine Print
- Promotional value expires Jan 18, 2013. Amount paid never expires.
- Must book by 1/18/13 or promo value expires
- Must complete travel by 4/30/13
- Not valid 12/22-1/5, 1/11-1/12, 1/18-1/20, 1/24-1/26, 1/31, 2/1-2/2, 2/8-2/9, 2/14-2/23, 3/1-3/3, 3/8-3/9, 3/11
- Limit 2 per person, may buy 1 additional as a gift
- Limit 2 per visit
- Valid only for option purchased
- Reservation required; subject to availability
- 14-day cancellation notice or fee up to Groupon price applies
- Must be 21 or older to check in
- Credit card required at booking
- Valid only for Hamlet, Colony Standard, and Pinehurst Guest rooms
- $10 daily resort fee and 8% tax not included.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- Up to two kids 8 or younger eat breakfast free when accompanied by a paying adult.
- Skiing season will end March 31 or earlier, depending on weather conditions; if you purchase a lift-ticket option, make sure to redeem in time.