Hotel at a Glance: Days Inn Montrose
If you love the mountains, then it’s hard to beat Days Inn Montrose’s location. Surrounded by the nearby Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests, the hotel is ideal for visitors searching for quiet outdoor serenity or gorgeous scenery. It’s also just a little more than an hour north of Telluride Ski Resort, one of the state’s premiere winter-sport destinations.
- Choose a brewery option for samplers at two local breweries, Two Rascals Brewing Company and Horsefly Brewing Company.
- Where you’ll stay: Guest rooms have been recently renovated and include a refrigerator and microwave
- Hot full breakfast buffet includes eggs, pastries, breakfast meats, and coffee
- Sweet dreams: Nibble on freshly baked cookies each night
- Hit the slopes at Telluride or Crested Butte Ski Resort, by choosing option #4, which comes with two one-day lift passes.
- Location to airport: Due to its proximity to the airport, option one is ideal for those looking to park and fly.
Montrose, Colorado: Small Town Close to Skiing and National Forests
Montrose may seem like a quiet, small town, but it’s a veritable magnet for skiers, hikers, and climbers who need a home base. Once they’re here, there’s plenty to do and see. Just a few miles from town, you’ll run right into Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, where sheer granite cliffs rise up 2,700 feet over the Gunnison River. An hour’s drive outside of Montrose, you’ll find the Telluride Ski Resort, an open-year-round, famous ski and snowboarding area with golf, shopping, and dizzying ski runs. Montrose is also just 25 miles from the Uncompahgre National Forest, home to craggy mountains, hiking trails, meadows, lakes, and waterfalls.
If your interests run closer to creature comforts, Montrose is close by to several breweries and wineries, and also home to the Ute Museum, dedicated to the Ute Native American Tribe, with exhibits on daily life, customs, and artifacts.