Hotel at a Glance: Deer Valley Lodge
It may be cold outside in Wisconsin, but Deer Valley Lodge’s indoor water park is a tropical oasis. Kids can zip down twisty water slides, open Friday–Sunday, splash around in a zero-depth pool, or play a game of pool basketball. One water-park pass for each guest (maximum of 4 passes per room booked) is included with all stays.
- Start the day with a continental breakfast.
- Use your dining credit toward snacks at the front desk, including homemade pizza, candy, chips, pretzels, nachos, ice cream, beer, soda, juice, or milk.
- Eco-friendly: The lodge runs partially on solar power and closely monitors its temperature and electricity use.
- Lodge rooms come with a 27-inch cable TV and handmade furniture.
- Rusty Nail Saloon serves up boneless wings, cheese curds, chicken strips, and sandwiches right onsite; open Friday–Sunday.
Barneveld, Wisconsin: Quiet Town amid Rolling Hills in Southern Wisconsin
Barneveld is a rural community 30 miles west of Madison, dotted with rolling hills and parks. Head to Blue Mound State Park for an aerial view of the surrounding countryside. The park has 20 miles of multi-use trails great for hiking and biking in the summer and cross-country skiing in the winter.
Be sure to check out Wisconsin’s capital city, Madison, a 40-minute drive from Barneveld. Just a few blocks from picturesque Lake Monona is the capitol building, a stately, white-domed structure that’s the tallest building in Madison. You can join a free tour of the building (they leave hourly from the information desk) or just gaze up at the colorful murals painted on the rotunda 200 feet up. On Saturdays, head to the year-round Dane County Farmers’ Market at Capitol Square. More than 160 local vendors at indoor and outdoor stands sell handmade cheeses and honey as well as farm-grown produce.
Book a spring break trip for the chance to win a second trip!