Explore Rainforests and National Parks in Costa Rica
Costa Rica’s diverse landscape and animal life make it an ideal destination for eco-tourism. You’ll see plenty of both on this vacation, which includes tours of the Arenal Volcano National Park’s rainforests and the canals and wetlands of Tortuguero National Park. There’s also some adventurous activities planned—you’ll soar through treetops on a zipline and relax in natural hot springs. Along the way, you’ll stay at hotels with tons of amenities like private gardens, pools, spas, and bars. The trip includes:
- 1 night of standard accommodations at the Park Inn or similar in San José
- 2 nights of standard accommodations at Laguna Tortuguero Lodge in Tortuguero
- 3 nights of standard accommodations at Casa Luna Hotel & Spa in La Fortuna
- Round-trip airport transfers
- Transportation from San José to Guápiles and Guapiles to Arenal Volcano & La Fortuna
- Round-trip boat transportation from Guápiles to Tortuguero
- Transportation to all mentioned activities
- Wi-Fi in rooms and public areas
- Welcome drink
- 12 meals; 6 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 3 dinners
- Guided village visit in Tortuguero
- Guided walk on hotel trails and botanical garden
- Boat trip through the Tortuguero National Park canals
- Zipline tour over tropical rainforest and waterfalls
- Guided walk in the Arenal Volcano National Park
- Entrance fee to Paradise Hot Springs
- Services of a bilingual naturalist guide
- See the full itinerary here
Days 1–3: San Jose and Tortuguero
After your flight, you’ll head straight to your San Jose hotel. Depending on when you arrive, you may have time to explore Costa Rica’s capital city, where you can soak up the colonial architecture and sample tamales and other street food.
After breakfast the next morning you’ll leave for Tortuguero. While here, you’ll stay at Laguna Tortuguero Lodge, a resort with restaurants, bars, and pools nestled on 6 acres between the Tortuguero Lagoon and the Caribbean Sea. Day 3 is filled with activities, outlined below.
- Tortuguero National Park: Hop on a boat tour after breakfast to explore canals, lagoons, and wetlands inhabited by endangered turtles and manatees.
- Go into town: There are no streets in this quiet little village, but the sandy pathways and patchy sidewalks will lead you to plenty of restaurants, artist-owned shops, and the Sea Turtle Conservatory Museum.
Days 4–5: La Fortuna
On day 4 you’ll arrive at Casa Luna Hotel & Spa, a rustic, colonial-style hotel near the Arenal Volcano. The next day is filled with the following adventures:
- Zipline tour: You’ll whiz past colorful birds and over waterfalls in a lush rainforest.
- Arenal Volcano National Park: At this roughly 30,000-acre park, you’ll find hiking trails, fertile rainforests, and a wide variety of plants and animals. Keep your eyes peeled for parrots, howler monkeys, and orchids.
- Arenal hot springs: Soothe tired muscles in warm pools created by the volcano’s geothermic activity.
Days 6–7: La Fortuna and Return to U.S.
Since day 6 has no set itinerary, you can spend your time as you please, enjoying a drink at the hotel’s Luna Bar or indulging in a relaxing Swedish massage with volcanic mud. Or you can book activities through the hotel—options range from cave explorations to canopy tours. The next day, you’ll have breakfast before heading back to the airport for your return flight to the United States.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to travel to the hotel from the airport? San Jose Airport (SJO) is the nearest airport to the first property in the itinerary. Ecoterra guides will meet you at the airport and take you to the hotel.
2. Is there an additional occupancy fee, or do I have to purchase another voucher? This voucher is valid for two guests. Additional guests may be added for an additional fee (subject to restrictions). Please contact Ecoterra for more information.
3. Will I be approached to attend a timeshare sales presentation? Customers are never obligated to attend a sales presentation. If you are approached and decline a presentation, you will not lose the value of your voucher or have to pay additional fees.
4. Which activities and amenities are included in the resort credits? Resort credits are not included with this voucher.
5. Are dinner reservations required for restaurants? Is there a dress code? For information regarding your dining options, please click here or contact Ecoterra.