Journey Across the Sahara on Tour of Morocco
This 9-day tour of Morocco begins and ends in Marrakesh, home to iconic landmarks including the Koutoubia Mosque’s towering minaret and sprawling Bahia Palace. In between, you’ll travel across the Atlas Mountains and to the Sahara Desert to visit famous sites seen in films including Lawrence of Arabia. This tour from Encounters Travel includes:
Flights & Transportation:
- Round-trip airfare from New York (JFK)
- Airport transfers
- Hotel porterage and tips
- All transportation
- For additional departure airports/pricing, contact Encounters Travel at (877) 260-3950.
- Airline & flight times determined at time of booking
Hotels (7 nights + 1 overnight flight)
- 4 nights of accommodations at the 4-star Mogador Kasbah in Marrakesh
- 1 night of accommodations at Hôtel le Fint in Ouarzazate
- 1 night of accommodations at Auberge Kasbah Leila - Bivouac Pieds de dunes in Merzouga
- 1 night of accommodations at Riad Lamane in Zagora
Attractions & Meals
- Sightseeing tours and entrance fees
- 13 meals: 7 breakfasts and 6 dinners
- English-speaking guides throughout tour
- Menara Gardens: Here, olive groves and a reflecting pool sit in the shadow of the Atlas Mountains.
- Jemaa el-Fnaa: See snake charmers, henna-tattoo artists, and other street performers in the Marrakesh’s main square.
- Erg Chebbi: Spend a night in a Berber camp amidst the sand dunes of the Sahara Desert
Optional Tours & Upgrades
- Fees apply for all optional tours and upgrades.
- Hot air balloon flight or quad biking in Marrakesh (day 3, 8, or 9)
- Additional Marrakesh tour, half-day Ourika Valley tour, Essaouira day trip, or Plateau of Kik day trip (day 3)
- Hike in Todra Gorge or sunset desert camel ride (day 6)
- Extra day in Marrakesh before or after the tour
Itinerary at a Glance
- Day 1: Board your overnight flight to Morocco.
- Day 2: Arrive in Marrakesh. Transfer to your hotel.
- Day 3: Relax after your flight, explore on your own, or consider taking one of the optional tours on this free day in Marrakesh.
- Day 4: Visit Koutoubia Mosque, tour the city and explore the market around Jemaa el-Fnaa square on a tour of Marrakesh.
- Day 5: Drive across the Atlas Mountains en route to Ait Benhaddou and Ouarzazate, seeing the town and surroundings seen in Gladiator and many other many films.
- Day 6: A day on the Road of a Thousand Kasbahs brings you to a Berber camp amidst the Erg Chebbi sand dunes in Merzouga. Take an optional sunset camel ride over the dunes if you wish.
- Day 7: Watch the sun rise over the dunes before heading to Zagora.
- Day 8: Cross the Atlas Mountains again to return to Marrakesh.
- Day 9: Fly back to the United States.
How to Book
1. Choose departure city and dates from drop-down menus or “See Options” button.
2. Complete your order; a confirmation email is sent after your order processes.
3. Book your trip: Go to your account to view your voucher for Encounters Travel contact and redemption instructions. Book by 9/29/17.
Each person must buy a voucher; price is based on two people traveling together and sharing a room. Additional $169 fee to travel solo ($269 upgraded) if you want your own room or if a same-sex room share is not available.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal? Airfare is available from New York (JFK). The supplemental fee to depart from a city that isn’t included is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking. Please contact Encounters Travel at (877) 260-3950 for more information.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal? Yes, you may extend your trip for a supplemental fee at the time of booking. Please call Encounters Travel at (877) 260-3950 for more information.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available? The dates available are listed on each option. A limited number of seats are available on each date.
4. What happens if I buy the voucher and my travel dates are not available? You can either choose another date or be refunded. We suggest contacting Encounters Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem. Redeem your voucher by completing Encounters Travel’s voucher redemption form here.
5. Does my child need a voucher, and can they stay in my room? All travelers, including children, must purchase a voucher. Different occupancy arrangements may be requested with Encounters Travel at the time of reservation.
6. Can I upgrade the hotels? Yes, you can upgrade to a Comfort level including a good 4-star hotel with a pool in Marrakech, and a better 3-star hotel in Ouarzazate. The Zagora hotel is upgraded to a lovely traditional Riad, while the same Berber camp is used as the main tour for your night in the Erg Chebbi sand dunes on the edge of the Sahara. The normal hotel options for this upgrade are the Mogador Kasbah in Marrakech, Le Fint Hotel in Ouarzazate, and Riad Lamane in Zagora, though alternative properties of a similar standard may be used on some dates. An additional single room supplement will also apply for solo travelers. Please see dates ande prices options for details and prices for this upgraded option.
7. I’m a solo traveler, can I share a room? Same sex room shares may be available and are arranged in order of booking. If a same-sex room share is not available then the single room supplement of $169 ($269 if hotels are upgraded) is payable to Encounters Travel. This will be refunded if a room share becomes available later.