Culinary Tour of Central Mexico
The 500-year-old town of Tlaxcala is your headquarters during this 7-day culinary tour from Epitourean. Here, you'll learn to prepare regional dishes in daily cooking classes and take guided tours of the city. You'll have some free time, too, to explore nearby cities and ruins. This tour includes:
- 6-night stay in a house room at Casa Carmelita
- Welcome party with cocktails and appetizers
- Daily classes in traditional Puebla-style cooking, with multi-course meals
- Chef-guided market visit in Tlaxcala
- Guided tour of historic Tlaxcala sights
- Second cocktail party with live guitar performance
- Ground transport to and from Mexico City Airport
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day of your stay
- Daily maid service
- Printed recipes and culinary mementos
We've listed some highlights of the tour below. Click here for a full itinerary.
Stay in a Traditional Mexican Home
You and a friend will spend your evenings in a house room with fireplace and private bath at Casa Carmelita. The home, which sits on farmland about five miles outside of Tlaxcala, has plenty of communal living space and a spacious kitchen for daily cooking classes.
- Sustainable living: Casa Carmelita and the home's furniture and artwork were all made with local materials.
- Optional excursions: Guests can take the home's taxi service to visit the town of Puebla or nearby ruins for an extra fee.
Hands-On Cooking Classes
The city of Puebla—about 45 minutes south of Tlaxcala—has been called the "Culinary Capital of Mexico." Over the years, this region has been influenced by a number of European nations; the dishes are a delightful mishmash of Spanish, French, and even Middle Eastern touches. You'll learn how to make these traditional Puebla-style dishes during daily cooking classes that last 2–3 hours, and then eat the fruits of your labor for lunch and dinner.
- Daily meals: breakfast, three-course lunch, three-course dinner as well as soft drinks, wine, beer, and cocktails
- Dine al fresco: Weather permitting, breakfast will be served on an outdoor patio.
Learn Recipes Passed Down over Five Generations
Chef Estela Salas Silva comes from several generations of culinary greatness. Her great-grandmother and grandmother both worked as cooks in Puebla and began teaching her to cook when she was just seven years old. During small-group cooking classes, Chef Silva passes on family recipes for mole poblano, chiles en nogada, and other regional dishes.
- Family specialty: Chipotles en conserva, dried chipotles simmered with garlic and onions, brown sugar, and spices
- Claim to fame: Rick Bayless and Iron Chef winner Chuck Hughes have both worked with Chef Silva at her culinary school.
Guided Tours of Tlaxcala
Tlaxcala is a bit off the beaten path; you won't find high-rise resorts or international nightclubs here. The village is rife with historical landmarks, though, such as the Holy Cross Fountain gifted by Spanish King Felipe IV in 1646. You'll learn more about Tlaxcala's long history on a guided city tour and visit a local market to pick up ingredients for cooking classes.
- Say it like a local: "Tlas-cala"
- Spicy notes: The region is known for its fresh chilies—chiles anchos, passillas, and chipotles, to name a few.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Airfare is not included with this Groupon.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes. Epitourean can arrange for lodging in Mexico either before or after the main tour, plus any day excursions requested.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
Groupon customer should call 800-390-3292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about desired dates. Customer should be a little flexible in choosing their dates. Epitourean will do everything possible to accommodate the requested dates, but we also run this tour virtually every week throughout the year.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
If the dates requested by the customer are not available, they can request flexible dates so that they can use their voucher for a future date (where we honor the discounted price and pre-paid status), or they can request a refund through Groupon, as long as it is within the Groupon refund period.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
This package is sold on a per person basis regardless of age. Due to the nature of the cooking class focus of these tours, we do not recommend kids under the age of 14. But kids pay the same price as adults in this particular package.