Explore Two of China’s Most Storied Cities
This 9-day tour from Friendly Planet takes you to Shanghai and Beijing, with excursions and free time in each. Hotels in both cities are centrally located, making it easy to get around on your own.
The tour includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Los Angeles or Houston on Air China
- Fuel surcharges and taxes and fees
- Intra-China flight and ground transportation
- 3 nights at 4-star Broadway Mansions Hotel Shanghai
- 4 nights at 4-star Beijing International Hotel
- 7 American buffet breakfasts and 1 lunch
- Comprehensive touring program including entrance fees
- Professional English-speaking tour director and local guides
- Guided tour of Tian Zi Fang in Shanghai
- Guided city tour of Beijing
- Full-day trip to the Great Wall of China with lunch<p>
Click here for a full itinerary and list of optional tours.
Day 1: En route to Shanghai
- Flight time: 15 hours from LAX; 17 hours from IAH<p>
Days 2–5: Shanghai
Board a coach bus at the airport and enjoy a brief tour of the modern city on the way to your hotel. Broadway Mansion Hotel Shanghai sits right along the Huangpu River, within walking distance of buildings that line The Bund and the neon lights that mark the shops on East Nanjing Road. Your getaway also includes a guided tour of Tian Zi Fang, an arts district which features cafes, bistros, and art galleries. Take advantage of this central location over the next two days, which are yours to explore Shanghai on your own.
- Nicknames: Pearl of the Orient and Paris of the East
- Meals: daily breakfast
- Recommended attractions: Take in the futuristic Pudong skyline via a Huangpu River cruise, or head up to the 88th-floor observation deck of the Jin Mao Tower.
- Optional tours: dinner and acrobatics show ($35 per person), guided tour of Suzhou and its canals ($85 per person, including lunch), or guided tour of Shanghai ($60 per person, including lunch)<p>
Days 5–8: Beijing
Catch a morning flight to Beijing and then take a tour of the city, which includes a stop at Tiananmen Square. The following morning, you’ll embark on a full-day excursion to the Great Wall of China. The excursion also includes lunch, a drive-by of the 2008 Olympic stadiums ,and a visit to a jade factory. Spend the next two days exploring Beijing at your own pace—Beijing International Hotel is within a 10-minute walk of two subway lines.
- Flight time: 2 hours
- Nicknames: The Celestial City and The Northern Capital
- Meals: daily breakfast and lunch at the Great Wall
- Recommended activity: Block out a morning to shop at the Panjiayuan Flea Market, where you could buy anything from jewelry to pre-revolution-era curio
- Optional tours: Peking Duck dinner and kung-fu show ($53 per person), traditional Chinese foot massage and dinner ($45 per person), Beijing Forbidden City and Gaobeidian Village guided tour ($65 per person, including lunch and dinner), a Tai Chi Boxing Lecture plus visits to Temple of Heaven and Panda Zoo with Lunch ($70 per person), or mongolian hot pot dinner and Peking Opera show ($53 per person)<p>
Day 9: En route to USA
Breakfast is included.
Days 9–12: Optional Hong Kong Extension (extra fee)
For an additional fee, you can stick around in China to explore Hong Kong, which Frommer’s likens to a movie set for its sweeping mountain views and glitzy skyscrapers. You’ll set up shop in the Golden Mile shopping district near the scenic harbor at the 4-Star Park Hotel Hong Kong, where you’ll be staying, and spend the next day touring the city. Highlights include a ride to the summit of Victoria Peak, which Time named the number one thing to do in Hong Kong.
Take an optional dinner cruise to sail through Hong Kong’s bustling harbor or try your luck at one of nearby Macau’s Vegas-style casinos during the final two days of your tour.
Click here and scroll down to “Hong Kong Optional Extension” for prices.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
This deal is only available from the gateways included.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Late returns are possible at a cost of $100 per person, plus any difference in airfare and additional services required, and are subject to availability. To book a late return, let Friendly Planet know and they’ll do their best to accommodate your request.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
If your requested date is available for purchase on Groupon’s site, it should still be available.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
Technically, you should not be able to buy a Groupon for a sold out date or departure city.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Every passenger traveling is required to have one. Triple rooms are subject to availability.