8-Day Kenya Tour with Safari at Masai Mara Reserve
This 8-day trip delves deep into Kenya’s savannahs, with game drives, boat rides on Lake Naivasha, and a tour of the capital city, Nairobi. See a detailed itinerary here. The trip includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York to Nairobi on Brussels Airlines, including fuel surcharges, airline taxes, and fees
- 2 nights at the 5-star Intercontinental Hotel Nairobi
- 1 night at Lake Naivasha Sopa Lodge
- 2 nights at the 5-star Keekorok Lodge
- All intra-Africa ground transportation and transfers
- 12 meals: 5 buffet breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 4 dinners
- Comprehensive sightseeing tours and game-viewing drives
- Boat safari on Lake Naivasha and 3 game drives in the Masai Mara Game Reserves
- Guaranteed window seat and access to pop-up roof hatch, maximum 6 guests per safari vehicle
- Experienced driver/guide
Days 1–3: Nairobi
After arriving in Nairobi, Kenya’s capital, you’ll settle into your hotel and have some free time before a tour of the city. Some stops on the itinerary:
- Langata Giraffe Center: Feed endangered Rothschild giraffes and see warthogs.
- Karen Blixen Museum: Set amid palm and cypress trees on a 4,500-acre farm that was once owned by the author of Out of Africa (better known by her pen name, Isak Dinesen), this museum houses memorabilia from the movie of the same name.
- Kazuri Bead Factory: a workshop where colorful ceramic beads and pottery are made
Day 4: Lake Naivasha
On Day 4, you’ll leave Nairobi and head west through the Great Rift Valley towards Lake Naivasha, a freshwater lake located at an altitude of over 6,000 feet.
- Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphans’ Nursery nurtures baby elephants to health before sending them off to roam Tsavo National Park.
- Afternoon boat ride: You’ll sail along Lake Naivasha to see exotic waterfowl, hippos, and giraffes.
Days 5–7: Masai Mara Game Reserve
Each year, millions of zebras and wildebeests migrate across the Masai Mara Game Reserve, which contains the Kenyan portion of the Serengeti.
- Two game drives give you the chance to see lions, rhinos, and elephants up close.
- Optional balloon ride: Soar 1,500 feet above the reserve’s savannah and the Mara River ($450 fee).
- Optional Masai Village visit: Meet members of the local indigenous population, many of whom wear bright red sarongs and live in thatched-roof huts. Watch them herding livestock and making handmade jewelry ($25 fee).
You’ll spend Days 7 and 8 back in Nairobi before heading home.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal? This deal is available from JFK.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal? Late returns may be possible at a cost of $100 per person, plus any difference in airfare and additional services required, and are subject to availability. To book a late return, let Friendly Planet know and they’ll do their best to accommodate your request.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available? If your requested date is available for purchase on Groupon’s site, it should still be available.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available? Technically, you should not be able to buy a Groupon for a sold out date or departure city.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room? Every passenger traveling is required to have one. Triple rooms are only available upon request.