What You Get
- 9-day tour of Beijing and Shanghai with airfare
- 38 options available, including departures in August, September, October, November, and December 2014 and January, February, and March 2015 from LAX, IAH, JFK, and IAD
- Click here to see all options and departure dates.
Note: All options priced per person and valid for a Travel with a Friend package (two Groupons required), or pay an additional $299-399 fee to travel solo. Read about package structures here.
Policies and Fees
Book by: 4/22/14
- Cancellation policy & fees: $300 fee to cancel up to 75 days prior to departure; $600 fee for 74-45 days prior; $1,000 fee for 44–30 days prior ($999 option requires fee up to Groupon price 44 days prior); fee up to Groupon price for 29 days or less prior to departure.
- Taxes: tax included
- Additional fees: $185 China visa fee not included ($170 for CA, AZ, NM, & HI residents). Baggage fees may apply and vary by carrier.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
Explore Two of China's Most Storied Cities
This 9-day tour from Friendly Planet takes you to Shanghai and Beijing, with excursions and free time in each. Hotels in both cities are centrally located, making it easy to get around on your own.
The tour includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Los Angeles (LAX), Houston (IAH), New York (JFK), or Washington, D.C. (IAD) on Air China
- Fuel surcharges and taxes and fees
- Intra-China flight and ground transportation
- 3 nights at 4-star Broadway Mansions Hotel Shanghai
- 4 nights at 4-star Beijing International Hotel
- 7 American buffet breakfasts and 1 lunch
- Comprehensive touring program including entrance fees
- Professional English-speaking tour director and local guides
- Guided tour of Tian Zi Fang in Shanghai
- Guided city tour of Beijing
- Full-day trip to the Great Wall of China with lunch
Click here for a full itinerary and list of optional tours.
Day 1: En route to Shanghai
- Flight time: 15–17 hours, depending on departure city
Days 2–5: Shanghai
Board a coach bus at the airport and enjoy a brief tour of the modern city on the way to your hotel. Broadway Mansion Hotel Shanghai sits right along the Huangpu River, within walking distance of buildings that line The Bund and the neon lights that mark the shops on East Nanjing Road. Your getaway also includes a guided tour of Tian Zi Fang, an arts district that features cafes, bistros, and art galleries. Take advantage of this central location over the next two days, which are yours to explore Shanghai on your own.
- Nicknames: Pearl of the Orient and Paris of the East
- Meals: daily breakfast
- Recommended attractions: Take in the futuristic Pudong skyline via a Huangpu River cruise, or head up to the 88th-floor observation deck of the Jin Mao Tower.
- Optional tours: dinner and acrobatics show ($35 per person), guided tour of Suzhou and its canals ($95 per person, including lunch), or guided tour of Shanghai ($70 per person, including lunch)
Days 5–8: Beijing
Catch a morning flight to Beijing and then take a tour of the city, which includes a stop at Tiananmen Square. The following morning, you'll embark on a full-day excursion to the Great Wall of China. The excursion also includes lunch, a drive-by of the 2008 Olympic stadiums, and a visit to a jade factory. Spend the next two days exploring Beijing at your own pace—Beijing International Hotel is within a 10-minute walk of two subway lines.
- Flight time: 2 hours
- Nicknames: The Celestial City and The Northern Capital
- Meals: daily breakfast and lunch at the Great Wall
- Recommended activity: Block out a morning to shop at the Panjiayuan Flea Market, where you could buy anything from jewelry to pre-revolution-era curios
- Optional tours: Peking Duck dinner and kung-fu show ($53 per person), traditional Chinese foot massage and dinner ($45 per person), Beijing Forbidden City and Hutong guided tour ($65 per person, including lunch), a Tai Chi Boxing Lecture plus visits to Temple of Heaven, Panda Zoo, and Summer Palace with lunch ($80 per person), or Mongolian hot pot dinner and Peking Opera show ($53 per person)
Day 9: En route to USA
Breakfast is included.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
This deal is only available from the gateways included.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Late returns are possible at a cost of $100 per person, plus any difference in airfare and additional services required, and are subject to availability. To book a late return, let Friendly Planet know and they’ll do their best to accommodate your request.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
If your requested date is available for purchase on Groupon’s site, it should still be available.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
Technically, you should not be able to buy a Groupon for a sold out date or departure city.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Every passenger traveling is required to have one. Triple rooms are subject to availability.
The Fine Print
- Promotional value expires Apr 23, 2014. Amount paid never expires.
- Book by 4/22/14 or promo value expires
- 2/person, +2 as gifts
- Valid only for option purchased
- Reservation required, subject to availability.$300 fee to cancel up to 75 days prior to departure; $600 fee for 74-45 days prior; $1,000 fee for 44–30 days prior ($999 option requires fee up to Groupon price 44 days prior); fee up to Groupon price for 29 days or less prior to departure
- Must be 21+ to book, 8+ to travel
- Credit card required at booking
- Baggage fees may apply and vary by carrier
- Airfare includes carrier and government taxes & fees
- $185 China visa fee not included ($170 for CA, AZ, NM, & HI residents)
- $299-399 fee to travel solo.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Tour of China with Airfare from Friendly Planet Travel
- Includes round-trip airfare from Los Angeles (LAX), Houston (IAH), New York (JFK), or Washington, D.C. (IAD) on Air China