Explore the Grecian Islands Before Seeing Ancient Athens
This 10-day trip starts out on the Grecian islands of Santorini and Mykonos, where you can enjoy the Mediterranean’s rugged landscapes and some of the region’s freshest seafood. Next, the capital Athens dazzles with ancient ruins and modern art galleries. There are no set itineraries, so you can explore each location at your own pace.
This vacation includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York City
- Alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for additional fee.
- Airline taxes & fuel surcharges
- Intra-flight from Athens to Santorini
- 8 nights accommodations in one of the following hotels:
- 3 nights standard accommodations in Santorini at Hotel Orion Star or Afroditi Venus Beach Hotel
- 3 nights standard accommodations in Mykonos at Hotel Artemis, Despotiko Hotel, or Vanilla Hotel
- 2 nights standard accommodations in Athens at Alexandros Hotel or Stanley Hotel
- All transfers
- Breakfast daily
- Flights and ferries between Athens and the Greek Islands
- 24-hour telephone assistance in the Islands
- Click here to view the full itinerary
Santorini was named the world’s 4th-best island by Travel + Leisure in 2013, partly for its dramatic landscape of razor-thin red cliffs and black-sand beaches. The island owes much of its appearance to a volcanic eruption that took place more than 3,500 years ago, resulting in a crescent-shaped caldera.<p>
- Take a hike: along the rim of the caldera for some of the best views of Santorini
- Scuba-diving charters take passengers to hot spots off Caldera Beach, where they can see barracudas darting between stunning lava-rock formations
- Dine on fresh fish: at the restaurants in Amoudi Bay, a rock cove on the other side of the island that serve up the island’s best seafood.
- Local speciality: Be sure to try cherry tomatoes, perhaps the island’s most-cherished produce
For all its natural beauty—including whitewashed villages, beachfront windmills, and cobblestone streets—Mykonos is still best known for its legendary party scene, ever since it became a jet-setting location for the rich and famous in the 1970s. You’ll have a chance to enjoy both sides of the island while you’re here.<p>
- An optional cruise to Delos: Explore acres upon acres of marble ruins by foot at this island outside of Mykonos, known for its archaeological sites
- Kato Myli: is the name for a collection of more than a dozen 16th-century farming windmills standing on a hilltop. Climb up the hill for postcard-worthy views of the Aegean.
- Find a quiet scene at the soft sands and calm waters of Ornos Beach, which offer a relaxing alternative to the party scene.
Known as the Cradle of Western Civilization, Athens has a wealth of historic and intellectual attractions to offer visitors. The ancient Acropolis is this city’s centerpiece, but there’s still a modern feel to many of the local museums and galleries.<p>
- A hidden gem: the Diomidis Botanical Garden has more than 2,500 species of flora.
- Explore Central Market: Locals call this bazaar the “Varvakios Agora.” Browse fresh seafood, artisan cheeses, and vegetables from nearby farmers. The lamb-based patsas soup is a favorite dish.
- Costumed Evzone guards: preside over the newly renovated Constitution Square. Once the city’s most important commercial centers, today it boasts a gorgeous Metro Station with its own museum of artifacts found during construction.<p>
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
The supplemental fee is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking. For information regarding a specific departure date, please call (800) 682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Gate 1 Travel is unable to accommodate extensions for this deal.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Children 12 and older will need a Groupon for travel. Children younger than 12 may be eligible for a discount. Contact Gate 1 Travel directly for child fares (800) 682-3333.