Tour of South Africa and Game Drives in Kruger National Park
All trips include:
- Round-trip airfare from JFK on South African Airways
- Two nights at Protea Hotel Wanderers in Johannesburg
- Two nights at Protea Hotel Hazyview in Hazyview
- Three nights at Protea Hotel Sea Point in Cape Town
- Daily breakfast, one lunch, and four dinners
- All transfers
- Sightseeing per itinerary in modern air-conditioned motor coach
- Services of English-speaking tour manager (Days 4–6)
- Services of English-speaking hosts in Johannesburg and Cape Town
- Services of English-speaking ranger guide in Kruger National Park
- Entrance fees per itinerary
- Soweto Tour
- Game drives through Kruger National Park
- Cape Peninsula Tour
- Cape Town City & Table Mountain Tour
Click here to view the full itinerary.
Days 1–3: Johannesburg
The trip kicks off in South Africa’s largest city, commonly known as Joburg. The first sightseeing tour gives you an overview of the city. You’ll visit Soweto, a large urban center that played an important role in the struggle against apartheid, before swinging by the former residences of Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela. The caravan will also pass by the Hector Pieterson Memorial, dedicated to a 12-year-old boy who lost his life in the Soweto Uprising of 1976. Later, enjoy a welcome dinner at the hotel with the rest of the tour group.
Accommodations: Protea Hotel Wanderers
Days 4–5: Hazyview and Kruger National Park
The second leg of the trip takes you through South Africa’s scenic countryside. En route to Hazyview, you’ll travel along the Blyde River Canyon and check out Bourke’s Luck Potholes—a series of waterfalls, swirling whirlpools, and ropy rock formations. On a clear day, the escarpment known as God’s Window offers panoramic views overlooking Kruger National Park. You’ll spend the evening in Hazyview, just outside the game reserve.
On Day 5 you’ll venture into the massive Kruger National Park in an open-air vehicle for a daylong game drive. The park is home to a diverse array of plants, mammals, reptiles, and birds. Keep your eyes peeled for lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, and the occasional cheetah.
Accommodations: Protea Hotel Hazyview
Days 6–9: Cape Town
It’s wheels up on Day 6 as the group heads to Cape Town (connecting through Johannesburg). Your first day in town is yours to spend relaxing and getting acquainted with this capital city by the sea. The next day, you’ll take a roughly 40-mile (63km) drive down Cape Peninsula all the way to Cape Point at the southwestern tip, with a pit stop in the quaint fishing village of Hout Bay.
Then it’s back to Cape Town and Table Mountain National Park, which is home to more than 250 species of birds as well as land mammals such as antelope, baboons, and zebras. Stroll along the park’s rugged cliffs or board the Flying Dutchman funicular to explore the park’s historic lighthouse. After lunch in Simon’s Town, relax on Boulders Beach and watch the penguins that live here. You’ll end the day at the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden on the eastern slopes of Table Mountain.
On the last full day of the tour, you’ll take an aerial cable car to the top of Table Mountain, where—weather permitting—views can stretch to Robben Island, where Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years. Then you’ll head into the city center to see the neon-colored homes of the Cape Malay Quarter. The last scheduled stop is the Castle of Good Hope, the oldest colonial building in South Africa. Today, the pentagonal structure serves as the country’s military headquarters and houses several museums. Enjoy a farewell dinner in town before catching your flight the next morning to head back to the States.
Accommodations: Protea Hotel Sea Point
####Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
This package is based on pre-confirmed flights from JFK via South African Airways and may only be purchased with these flights.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Due to the set airfare, we are unable to extend your trip before or after the promotional dates.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers ASAP so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Yes, each person traveling (including children) needs to purchase a voucher. Your child may stay in your room; however there are limits as to how many people can stay in each room. Triple rooms are available on this tour.