Visit Nine Cities on Cross-Country Tour of Turkey
This 13-day, 11-night tour of Turkey from Gate 1 Travel begins and ends in Istanbul. Among the most vibrant cities in the world, it’s chock-full of restaurants, funky bars, and all-night dance clubs. The Old City, meanwhile, is dotted with landmarks dating from the 4th century to the Middle Ages. You can tour the Hagia Sophia, a former mosque renowned for its enormous dome, and the Grand Bazaar, where vendors have been hawking jewelry, carpets, and ceramics since the 1400s. Since its founding, Istanbul has served as the capital of three empires (Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman), making it one of history’s most important cities.
This package includes round-trip airfare from EWR, JFK, or LGA (departure airport, airline, and routing are based on pricing and availability at the time of booking) as well as hotel accommodations and guided tours in each city.
See below for a few highlights of the trip, or click here to see a full itinerary.
- Take a guided tour of the 4,000-year-old city of Troy, the setting of Homer’s Iliad and mythical site of the Trojan War.
- You can stroll along the marble streets of the Asclepion of Pergamum, an ancient spa where massage, mud therapy, and herbal medicine were popularized during the 2nd century AD.
- Get to know the port city of Izmir with a full day of leisure. The city is believed to be the birthplace of Homer.
- During a stop at the Pamukkale hot springs, you can sample calcium-rich waters that have been used as thermal baths for thousands of years. The name means “cotton castle” in Turkish—a reference to the white mineral deposits that form around the pools.
- Pause for photos at the Caravanserai of Sultanhan, an abandoned city along the Silk Road that provided shelter for traders during the 13th century. The main gates display well-preserved stone carvings from the Seljuk period.
- Pay your respects at the mausoleum of Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Turkish Republic, on a guided tour of Turkey’s capital city, Ankara.