Beijing and Shanghai Vacation
On this 10-day vacation from Gate 1 Travel, you'll have accommodations in the center of Beijing and Shanghai, making it easy to explore both cities. You can use taxis to get around, or hop on the well-developed (and inexpensive) subway systems that run to all of Beijing and Shanghai's major attractions. This vacation includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), or Houston (IAH)
- One-way flight from Beijing to Shanghai
- 5-night stay at Xizhao Temple Hotel in Beijing
- 3-night stay at The Bund Riverside Hotel in Shanghai
- Daily breakfast
- All transfers
Click here to see the full itinerary.
Day 1: En route from the US
You'll spend Day 1 flying from Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK), or Houston (IAH) to Beijing. The flight takes approximately 14 hours, though it varies by departure city.
Days 2–6: Beijing
Beijing's imperial past is ever-present: you can hardly walk a block without seeing ornate temples, ancient alleyways lined with shops and tea houses (called hútòng), and open-air markets that have been around for centuries. At the city center stands the Forbidden City, which served as a royal residence to 24 emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties. And of course, there's the Great Wall, which winds its way across the northern part of Beijing.
- Nearby must-see: Temple of Heaven, a 10-minute taxi ride from your hotel
- Optional tour: see the Great Wall and Ming Dynasty Tombs with lunch (8.5 hours; $57/person) or enjoy a Peking duck dinner (3.5 hours; $32/person)
- Hotel highlights: two restaurants, a tea house, a bar, and a garden where you can practice yoga, t'ai chi, and meditation
Days 7–9: Shanghai
Shiny and new is the theme in downtown Shanghai. The city harbors hundreds of soaring skyscrapers, including the world's second-tallest building, the Shanghai World Financial Center, at 1,600 feet. Nicknamed the bottle opener because of a rectangular opening at the top, the building towers over the Pudong district and exemplifies the hyper-modernity of Shanghai. In its midst, though, there's quite a bit of history. The Bund, once a major financial district in the early 20th century, is lined with Gothic, Baroque, and Classical buildings.
- Flight time from Beijing: approximately 2 hours
- Nearby must-see: The Shanghai World Financial Center lies just across the river from your hotel and has three lofty observation decks.
- Optional tours: acrobatics show with dinner (3.5 hours; $29/person) and a full-day tour of a nearby water town, Suzhou, with lunch (9.5 hours; $47/person)
- Hotel highlights: lobby coffee bar, full-service spa, and a top-floor restaurant with stunning views of the city
Day 10: Return to the U.S.
You'll spend the final day on the approximately 14-hour flight back to the United States.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
This package is based on pre-confirmed flights via Air China, and may only be purchased with these flights.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Due to the set airfare, we are unable to extend your trip before or after the promotional dates.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
The dates available are listed on each option.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers ASAP so that you do not run into this problem.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Yes, each person traveling (including children) needs to purchase a voucher. Your child may stay in your room; however, there are limits as to how many people per room. Triples are available on this tour.