11-Day China Tour with Yangtze River Cruise
During this 11-day tour, you’ll explore two of China’s biggest metropolises—Beijing and Shanghai—and cruise through the Yangtze River’s rock gorges. Many of the sightseeing excursions along the way are guided, but you can also customize the itinerary with optional side trips or by checking out other local landmarks in your spare time. The tour includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Los Angeles (LAX) via Air China
- Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
- All intracountry flights: Beijing to Yichang and Chongqing to Shanghai
- 3 nights of first class accommodations at the Xizhao Temple Hotel in Beijing
- 4-night cruise upstream on the Yangtze River via Victoria Cruises
- 2 nights of first class accommodations at the Bund Riverside Hotel in Shanghai
- Hotel taxes, fees, and service charges
- Hotel and cruise porterage
- All transfers
- 17 meals: 9 breakfasts, 4 lunches, and 4 dinners
- Sightseeing per itinerary in modern air-conditioned motorcoach
- Services of English-speaking tour manager throughout
- Services of local guides in all major cities
- Entrance fees per itinerary
Days 1–4: Beijing and the Great Wall of China
After an overnight flight, you’ll arrive in China on day 2. You’ll kick off the tour by spending 3 nights in the capital city, Beijing. Enjoy free time on days 2 and 4 to explore the city on your own; an included tour on day 3 spotlights the Great Wall of China.
- Great Wall of China: This iconic structure spans China’s diverse landscape for about 5,500 miles—nearly twice the distance from Los Angeles to New York City.
- Ming Tombs: Thirteen Ming-dynasty emperors are interred in these stately mausoleums near the base of Tianshou Mountain.
- Eat like a local: Indulge in Peking duck, a Beijing specialty with crispy skin that’s roasted in a closed oven and traditionally rolled into thin pancakes with scallions, cucumber, and sweet bean sauce. (A Peking-duck dinner is available for additional fees.)
Days 5–8: Yangtze River Cruise
A flight takes you to Yichang before you set out on a cruise of the Yangtze River, which passes through parts of the Three Gorges and past rushing rapids. On day 6, you can debark for an optional tour of the Three Gorges Dam, which is more than five times bigger than the Hoover Dam.
- See enchanted rock formations as you pass through the 25-mile-long Wu Gorge. Each of the 12 mystical shapes represents a fairy spirit.
- Fengdu Ghost City: Day 8 brings you to this eerie outpost; an optional excursion lets you hop off the ship and observe life in the local village.
Days 9–11: Shanghai and Departure
On Day 9, take a quick flight to the glittering megalopolis of Shanghai, which was just a small fishing village as little as 150 years ago. Today, it’s China’s commercial center and most populous city. It’s arguably the largest city on Earth—and one of the fastest growing. A half-day tour on day 10 visits the 400-year-old Yu Garden, a remnant of the city’s rich history.
- The Bund: The Huangpu River acts as a scenic backdrop for this collection of contemporary skyscrapers and historical Romanesque, Gothic, and Baroque architecture.
- Huangpu Park: Waterfalls and miniature mountains create an idyllic escape at this park near where the Huangpu River intersects with Suzhou Creek.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal? This deal is only available from LAX. You may also depart from JFK for a supplemental fee at the time of booking. Call Gate 1 Travel for pricing.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal? This deal is based on set airfares that cannot be altered.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available? The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available? You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room? All travelers will need to purchase a Groupon. Triples are not available.