Explore Greece and Its Islands
Greece and its islands are yours for the exploring on this 10-day vacation from Gate 1 Travel. This package includes intra-flights, ferries, and transfers that independent travelers oftentimes have to book separately, including a 45-minute flight between Athens and Santorini, which saves hours of travel time when compared to taking the ferry. And Gate 1’s English-speaking staff will be there to greet you and answer any questions in each destination. You can see the famous ruins of Athens, get lost on the twisting streets of Santorini, and relax on the beaches of Mykonos. This deal includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York
- Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
- Flight between Athens and Santorini
- 3-night standard accommodations in Santorini at Afroditi Venus Beach Hotel, Alia Hotel, Argo Hotel, or similar
- 3-night standard accommodations in Mykonos at Despotiko Hotel, Hotel Artemis, or similar
- 2-night standard accommodations in Athens at Alexandros Hotel, Stanley Hotel, or similar
- All transfers
- Daily breakfast
- Flights and ferries between Athens and the Greek Islands
- 24-hour telephone assistance in the Islands
Arguably the most famous of Greece’s Cycladic Islands, Santorini is renowned for its quaint villages and cobalt-blue domed churches that cling dramatically to the cliffside. Travel guru Rick Steves calls it the “most geologically interesting of all the Greek islands,” due to its location atop the rim of a collapsed volcano crater.
- Scenic hike: Hoof it from the tiny village of Fira to Oia; you’ll be rewarded with stunning views of the caldera along the way.
- Take a detour: There are 300 stairs standing between the town of Oia and the quiet cove at Amoudi Bay, but it’s worth it to escape the crowds, soak up the Greek sun, and cool off with a swim.
- Hotel: Afroditi Venus Beach Hotel, Alia Hotel, Argo Hotel, or similar
- Optional tours include Santorini Island & Akrotiri tour, which incorporates a winery stop and a visit to the black-sand beaches of Perivolos ($49/person), and the Santorini Volcano cruise ($50/person).
Travel + Leisure named Mykonos one of the world’s best islands in 2013. One look at its charming coast—where a cluster of whitewashed buildings overlook the sparkling Mediterranean—and it’s easy to see why.
- Little Venice: Head to this village and grab a table at a classy seaside bar for a dazzling view of the sunset.
- Must-see site: Paraportiani—a church dating to the 15th century—is one of the island’s most photographed sites.
- Hotel: Despotiko Hotel, Hotel Artemis, or similar
- Optional tour: Half-day Mykonos Delos tour, which visits the island of Delos and its temples to Apollo and Artemis ($58/person).
Known as the Cradle of Western Civilization, Athens has a wealth of historic and intellectual attractions. Though many of the most popular attractions are in ruins, such as the Acropolis, there’s still a modern feel to many of the local museums and galleries.
- The Parthenon: Perched high above the Acropolis since around 450 BC, this temple to the Goddess Athena features striking Doric columns and intricate marble friezes.
- Best place to watch the sunset: atop Mount Lycabettus, which overlooks the city; you can hike to the top or ride a funicular.
- Hotel: Alexandros Hotel, Stanley Hotel, or similar
- Optional tour Half Day Athens sightseeing tour, which begins with a panoramic drive through the city en route to the Presidential Palace, the Temple of Zeus, and the ruins of Hadrian’s Arch ($75).
Know Before You Go
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro
- Drive on the right side of the road.
- Entrance requirements for US citizens: a passport valid for at least three months beyond date of departure
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Airfare is available from the New York City metro area. The departure airport (JFK, EWR or LGA) will be advised at the time of booked based on availability. The supplemental fee to depart from a city that isn’t included is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, you may extend your trip for a supplemental fee at the time of booking. Please call Gate 1 Travel for more information.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Children under 12 do not need a Groupon voucher. Contact Gate 1 Travel directly for child fares (1-800-682-3333) Different occupancy arrangements can be requested with Gate 1 Travel at the time of reservation.