5-Day Iceland Vacation with Northern-Lights Viewing
Despite its name and northerly location, much of Iceland’s landscape is carpeted in greenery. This vacation puts you in Reykjavík, the earth’s northernmost capital city. Aside from a Reykjavik city tour and a nighttime tour to see the breathtaking northern lights on day 2, there’s no set itinerary, so you can spend most of the vacation exploring at your own pace. This vacation includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Washington, DC or Orlando (MCO)
- Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
- 3 nights of standard accommodations in Reykjavik. Click here for a list of hotels by departure date
- All transfers
- Daily breakfast (excluding day 2; available for an additional cost of approximately $18–$25/person)
- Reykjavik city tour and northern-lights tour in modern air-conditioned motorcoach
- Services of English-speaking guide throughout
- Entrance fees per itinerary
We’ve highlighted some of our favorite spots in and around Reykjavík below.
- Hallgrimskirkja: This Lutheran church in downtown Reykjavík draws attention for its unusual modern structural elements and height of 250 feet. Be sure to go inside, where an elaborate 25-ton organ dominates the space.
- Gullfoss: One of Iceland’s best-known waterfalls is about 90 minutes from Reykjavík and well worth the journey. The falls cascade down two ledges surrounded by green hillsides.
- Nauthólsvík Beach: The hot pools around this lagoon stay warm all year.
- Local lingo: “Hvernig segir maður … á íslensku?” means “How do you say … in Icelandic?”
- Icelandic eats: Pylsur, the country’s popular lamb hot dog, is best ordered topped with sweet mustard and deep-fried onions. Arctic salmon and lobster are often featured heavily on menus.
- Optional tours: Blue Lagoon experience (day 3; $99/person) or a full-day Golden Circle tour, which visits Gullfoss waterfall, Thingvellir National Park, and Iceland’s geothermal geysers (day 4; $99/person)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal? The supplemental fee is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking. For information regarding a specific departure date, please call (800) 682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal? Yes, you may extend your trip for a supplemental fee at the time of booking.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available? The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available? We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room? Yes, each person traveling (including children) needs to purchase a voucher. Your child may stay in your room, however there are limits as to how many people per room. Triples are not available.
See the northern lights and warm up in the Blue Lagoon—plus three more recommendations for cool things to do in Iceland.