5-Day Iceland Vacation with Northern-Lights Viewing
Despite its name and northerly location, much of Iceland's landscape is carpeted in greenery. This vacation puts you in Reykjavik, the heart of Iceland and the northernmost capital city on earth. There's no set itinerary, so travelers can spend most of the vacation exploring the Icelandic landscape at their own pace. This vacation includes a nighttime tour to see the breathtaking northern lights. This vacation includes:
- Round-trip airfare
- Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
- Alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for additional fees.
- 3 nights of standard accommodations at Best Western Hotel Reykjavik, Bjork Hotel, or similar, depending on option purchased
- Daily breakfast
- Northern-lights evening tour
Below, we've highlighted some of our favorite spots in and around Reykjavik.
- Hallgrimskirkja: The Lutheran church with unusual modern structural elements stands at nearly 250 feet in downtown Reykjavik. From up here, you can get expansive views of the cityscape. An elaborate 25-ton organ dominates the interior.
- Culture House is a deep dive into Icelandic lore, featuring exhibits on medieval writings, Norse mythology, and the Poetic Edda manuscript, which inspired Tolkien's dwarf characters in The Hobbit.
- Gulfloss is about 90 minutes from Reykjavik, but it's worth the journey. These white-capped falls cascade down two ledges surrounded by carpeted green hillsides.
- Nauthólsvík Beach: As the weather gets colder, the hot pools around this lagoon stay warm; in fact, they stay that way year round, as the ocean water is mixed with hot geothermic water.
- Local lingo: "Hvernig segir maður … á íslensku?", which means "How do you say … in Icelandic?"
- Icelandic eats: Pylsur, the country's popular lamb hot dog, is best ordered topped with sweet mustard and deep-fried onions. Arctic salmon and lobster are often featured heavily on menus.
- Optional tours: blue-lagoon experience (Day 2), Reykjavik city tour (Day 3), and full-day Golden Circle tour (Day 4); additional fees apply
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal? The supplemental fee is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking. For information regarding a specific departure date, please call (800) 682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal? You may extend your trip one day. For information, please call 800-682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available? The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available? You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room? Children 12 and over will need a Groupon for travel. Children under 12 may be eligible for a discount. Contact Gate 1 Travel directly for child fares 1-(800)-682-3333.