5-Day Iceland Vacation with Northern-Lights Viewing
Despite its name and northerly location, much of Iceland’s landscape is carpeted in greenery. This vacation puts you in Reykjavik, the heart of Iceland and the earth’s northernmost capital city. Aside from a nighttime tour to see the breathtaking northern lights, there’s no set itinerary, so you can spend most of the vacation exploring the Icelandic landscape at your own pace. This vacation includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York (alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for additional fees)
- Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
- 3 nights of standard accommodations at Best Western Hotel Reykjavik, Fosshótel Lind, Fosshótel Baron, or similar hotel, depending on option purchased
- Daily breakfast
- Northern-lights evening tour
See itinerary and details of the trip here. Below, we’ve highlighted some of our favorite spots in and around Reykjavik.
- Hallgrimskirkja: This Lutheran church in downtown Reykjavik draws attention for its unusual modern structural elements and 250-feet height. Be sure to go inside, where an elaborate 25-ton organ dominates the space.
- Gulfloss is one of Iceland’s best-known waterfalls, about 90 minutes from Reykjavik and worth the journey. The falls cascade down two ledges surrounded by carpeted green hillsides.
- Nauthólsvík Beach: As the weather gets colder, the hot pools around this lagoon stay warm; in fact, they stay that way year round, as the ocean water is mixed with hot geothermic water.
- Local lingo: “Hvernig segir maður … á íslensku?”, which means “How do you say … in Icelandic?”
- Icelandic eats: Pylsur, the country’s popular lamb hot dog, is best ordered topped with sweet mustard and deep-fried onions. Arctic salmon and lobster are often featured heavily on menus.
- Optional tours: Blue Lagoon experience (Day 2), Reykjavik city tour (Day 3), and full-day Golden Circle tour, which visits Gulfloss, Thingvellir National Park, and Iceland’s geothermal geysers (Day 4); additional fees apply
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
The supplemental fee is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking. For information regarding a specific departure date, please call (800) 682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
You may extend your trip one day. For information, please call 800-682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Children 12 and over will need a Groupon for travel. Children under 12 may be eligible for a discount. Contact Gate 1 Travel directly for child fares 1-(800)-682-3333.
6. How do I know which hotel I can stay at?
Hotels are based on departure date and availability at the time of booking.