9-Day Tour of Bangkok, the River Kwai, and Ancient Siamese Palaces
This guided 9-day tour of Thailand includes visits to Bangkok, sacred Buddhist temples, ancient Siamese palaces, and colorful open-air markets. We’ve included a brief rundown of some trip highlights below. This tour includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Los Angeles (LAX) (alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for additional fees; please call 800-682-3333 to inquire about your specific travel needs)
- 4 nights at the Aetas Lumpini Hotel in Bangkok
- 2 nights at the River Kwai Resotel in Kanchanaburi
- 1 night at the Krungsri River Hotel in Ayutthaya
- Hotel porterage
- All ground transfers
- 10 meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners
- Sightseeing per itinerary in modern air-conditioned motorcoach
- Services of English-speaking tour manager
- Entrance fees per itinerary
Hotel accommodations will be assigned by Gate 1 Travel; hotels of similar standard may be substituted.
View the full itinerary here. Flights from the United States may arrive on day 3. Included sightseeing will begin in the afternoon on day 3.
Days 1–4: Departure and Bangkok
The trip begins with an overnight flight to Thailand’s capital city, Bangkok. You’ll split your time here between guided tours and independent exploration, with an option to attend a lavish traditional performance involving a cast of more than 150.
- Temple of the Reclining Buddha: 17th-century structure housing a gold statue measuring 150 feet from head to toe
- Stroll through Chinatown to see hundreds of busy vendor stalls, as well as a flower market overflowing with rare orchids and marigolds.
- Emerald Buddha: Carved from a single block of jade, the statute inside Thailand’s holiest temple has been meditating in the same pose since the 14th century.
Days 5–6: Kanchanaburi
Next, you’ll travel northwest to Kanchanaburi, a city on the banks of the world-famous River Kwai.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market: Farmers navigate canals in small sampan boats to sell food and housewares to shoppers lined up on the shore.
- Bridge on the River Kwai: The renowned stone bridge was made famous in the book and film by the same name.
Day 7: Ayutthaya
A two-hour drive east brings you to Ayutthaya, a UNESCO World Heritage site that served as the capital of Thailand (then Siam) for four centuries beginning in 1350. You’ll see ruins of ancient temples throughout the city.
- Bang Pa-In Royal Palace: Surrounded by a lake just outside of Ayutthaya, this 17th-century estate served as the royal summer residence for the kings of Siam.
- Breathtaking temples: Wat Phra Si Sanphet, Wat Yai Chai Mongkol, Wat Mahathat, and Wat Ratchaburana
Days 8–9: Return to Bangkok and Depart for United States
- Free time: After watching jewelers at work in a gem gallery, explore the city on your own.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal? The supplemental fee is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking. For information regarding a specific departure date, please call (800) 682-3333 to speak with a Gate 1 Travel Reservation Specialist.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal? Yes, you may extend your trip for a supplemental fee at the time of booking.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available? The dates available are listed on each option.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available? You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers ASAP so that you do not run into this problem.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room? Yes, each person traveling (including children) needs to purchase a voucher. Your child may stay in your room, however there are limits as to how many people per room. Triple rooms are available on this tour. Children must be 8 years old on this tour.