Hotel at a Glance: Glacier House Resort
Deer, bears, and hummingbirds will be your neighbors at this rustic resort set amid 360-degree views of the Columbia Mountains and Mount Begbie. By day, you can can hike through pine forests and bird-watch at nearby Mount Revelstoke National Park. At night, sit outside and and gaze up at the starry sky, or cozy up by the enclosed gas fireplace in your lodge room, medium cabin, or large family cabin.
- Indoor pool with large windows that look out toward Begbie Glacier
- Soothe sore muscles in the eight-person hot tub, or sweat out stress in the sauna.
- The Gallery Restaurant serves up classic Canadian fare such as burgers, salmon, and steak.
- Sip a pint while playing pool at the onsite Sledders pub, open for the winter season, or enjoy the bistro and patio during the fall.
- Downtown Revelstoke is just a ten-minute drive away.
Revelstoke, British Columbia: Hiking Trails and Art Galleries in the Columbia Mountains
Nestled between the Columbia River and Mount Revelstoke, this former railroad town is ideally situated for outdoor adventure year-round. Most of the activity centers around Mount Revelstoke National Park, where hiking trails meander past groves of old-growth cedar trees and fir trees that stretch skyward for several stories. The area is near plenty mountain biking trails, including the popular and easily accessible Frisby Ridge Trail. Make your way up to the summit in warmer months to see arctic lupine, white mountain heather, and other colorful wildflowers in full bloom. In winter, adventurers trade their hiking boots for ski boots and slalom down the snow-covered slopes of Revelstoke Mountain Resort. Diverse wildlife, including black bears, eagles, beavers, and porcupines, can be spotted throughout the year.
Once your adrenaline settles, you can head to downtown Revelstoke. The town got its start as a stop on the Canadian Pacific Railway back in the 1880s. Century-old brick buildings help preserve a historic feel, and many are occupied by brewpubs and art galleries.