Hotel at a Glance: Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
The Adirondack Mountains cast their reflection on the placid surface of Mirror Lake, located steps from this award-winning resort. The resort embraces its natural surroundings by serving farm-to-table fare at the onsite restaurant and using energy-efficient heating.
- Recent awards: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015 and Audubon International’s Platinum eco rating
- Where you’ll stay: a deluxe guest room with free WiFi, a Keurig coffeemaker, and a private patio (some overlook the lake)
- Start the day right: This Getaway includes daily breakfast for two.
- Farm-to-table fare: At Generations Tap & Grill, chefs use pasture-raised, free-range meats and fresh local produce to prepare new york strip steaks and other artisan dishes.
- Swim year-round in the indoor pool, which is surrounded by floor-to-ceiling windows that let in lots of natural light.
- Grab a drink at Roomers Nightclub, where a DJ plays music into the wee hours.
Lake Placid, New York: World-Class Skiing and Small-Town Charm in the Adirondack Mountains
Nestled in northeastern New York’s Adirondack Mountains, the village of Lake Placid is actually set on the shores of Mirror Lake, just south of Lake Placid proper. Year-round, folks flock to the area to take advantage of its abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation and to see the site of the “Miracle on Ice”—the US hockey team’s heart-stopping upset victory over the Soviets in 1980.
In the fall, enjoy kayaking trips and scenic hikes along leafy backcountry trails. Along Lake Placid’s quaint Main Street, you’ll find a string of boutiques and curio shops, along with galleries and workshops where you can watch artisans blowing glass. Wine-tasting rooms and bakeries offer a sampling of local flavors. Less than 10 miles away, Whiteface Lake Placid ski resort boasts the largest vertical drop east of the Rockies for downhill skiing and snowboarding, and ice-fishers can be seen trying their luck on the surface of the lake.