Vacation Like Royalty in the Irish Countryside
You can explore the quaint Irish countryside at your leisure on this 8-day trip from Great Value Vacations, with stays at four castle hotels, including the luxurious Dromoland Castle in Newmarket-on-Fergus. All trips include:
- Round-trip airfare from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), or Chicago (ORD)
- Manual-shift economy-car rental for duration
- 1 night’s standard accommodations at 4-star Cabra Castle Hotel in Cavan
- 2 nights’ standard accommodations at 4-star Kilronan Castle in Roscommon
- 1 night’s standard accommodations with breakfast at 5-star Dromoland Castle Hotel in Newmarket-on-Fergus
- 2 nights’ standard accommodations at 4-star Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel in Killiney
Driving distance from Dublin: 69 miles (111 km)
Cavan is derived from the Old Irish word “cabhan,” which translates to “hollow.” This pastoral burg is surrounded by freshwater lakes where you can canoe and fish, as well as miles of riverside trails for horseback riding and hiking.
- Where you’ll stay: The 19th-century Cabra Castle Hotel is your home base for your first night. Stroll its 100 acres of manicured gardens, play a round of golf on the nine-hole course, or strike up a match on the tennis court.
- What’s nearby: Explore a subterranean lair brimming with rivers and waterfalls at Marble Arch Caves Global Geopark; its oldest rocks were formed more than 895 million years ago.
Driving distance from Cavan: 55 miles (89 km)
Roscommon is known for its scenic landscapes: peat bogs, marshes, dense woodlands, and meadows dotted with wildflowers. The area is home to the 50-foot-tall Glencar Waterfall, made famous by William Butler Yeats’s poem “The Stolen Child.”
- Where you’ll stay: Sleep tight at Kilronan Castle, built in the early 1800s. Enjoy a detoxifying scrub in the spa’s mud chamber or opt for an oxygen-infused facial.
- What’s nearby: Strokestown Park features a Georgian Palladian mansion outfitted with original furnishings and period decor, adjacent to a 6-acre walled garden. Next door, the Famine Museum chronicles the mid-19th century potato famine that resulted in mass casualties.
Driving distance from Roscommon: 94 miles (151 km)
Newmarket-on-Fergus is a tiny hamlet in County Clare, just 14 miles (24 km) from the popular town of Limerick. Limerick is more than a thousand years old; it’s where you’ll find favored tourist attractions including St. Mary’s Cathedral, built in 1168, and King John’s Castle, which dates back to 1212.
- Where you’ll stay: The lavish Dromoland Castle originated in the 5th century, when it was the ancestral home of Gaelic royalty. Tee off on a championship golf course, go for a swim in the indoor heated pool, or try your hand at clay shooting or archery on the lawn.
- What’s nearby: The Cliffs of Moher stand 700 feet above the Atlantic Ocean, hugging the coastline for 5 miles (8 km). While standing on the cliffs on a clear day, you can see straight to the Aran Islands and Galway Bay. A trip to the Cliffs of Moher is available in the upgrade package at time of booking.
- Upgrade available: An upgrade is available at time of booking for $99 per person, which includes breakfast at Cabra Castle Hotel, Kilronan Castle, and Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel, plus admission to the Cliffs of Moher.
Note – You may also extend your stay by 2 nights for $200 per person, which includes an extra night each at Cabra Castle Hotel and Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel.
Driving distance from Newmarket-on-Fergus: 147 miles (237 km)
Killiney is located just southeast of Dublin on the shores of the Irish Sea. You can get great views of both the sea and the surrounding countryside at the top of Killiney Hill, a short walk from the village. Killiney Beach is also a nice spot to enjoy the water—the half-mile-long beach has areas for swimming and fishing.
- Where you’ll stay: Parts of the family-run Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel have stood since 1740, when it served as a private residence. Today, the hotel features a scandinavian wood sauna and steam room and a 66-foot-long indoor swimming pool.
- What’s nearby: Catch a ferry to Dalkey Island, an uninhabited isle with archaeological sites that date back as far as the Mesolithic Period.
Frequently Asked Questions
1: From what airport does the deal depart? How much does it cost to fly from a city that isn’t included in the deal options?
Call Great Value Vacations at 1-800-495-4903 for pricing from any airport that isn’t listed on the Groupon Getaways deal page.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, for an additional fee you can arrange for that over the phone when you redeem your vacation.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
After your purchase, call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for the most up-to-date availability.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
If Great Value Vacations is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, Groupon will refund your purchase.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
All travelers age 2 and over are required to purchase a Groupon. Different occupancy arrangements can be requested with Great Value Vacations at the time of reservation.