Stay in Castles and Drive Yourself Through the Irish Countryside
On this eight-day vacation from Great Value Vacations, you'll get to drive through Ireland's coastal scenery, exploring traditional country villages at your leisure along the way. You'll stay in some of Europe's most striking castle estates, all of them 4- and 5-star accommodations.
The vacation includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD), or Boston (BOS)
- Alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for additional fee.
- 1 night of standard accommodations at Dunboyne Castle in Dunboyne, County Meath
- 2 nights of standard accommodations at Glenlo Abbey Hotel in Galway, County Galway
- 2 nights of standard accommodations at Lough Eske Castle
- 1 night of standard accommodations at Cabra Castle in Kingscourt, County Cavan
- Daily breakfast during Lough Eske Castle stays
- Manual-shift economy car rental for duration of trip
Dunboyne Castle, County Meath
This luxury hotel is set on the original site of a 15th-century castle that was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell, the English military and political leader. Since its restoration in 2006, the present-day castle has added an organic spa and an award-winning restaurant.
- Must-see attraction: Newgrange, an ancient burial site built more than 5,000 years ago, was called out by Frommers as “one of the archaeological wonders of Western Europe.” The site consists of 20,000 stones, some of which weigh more than 16 tons each; each are adorned with diamonds and mysterious concentric circles.
- Village snapshot: County Meath, one of Ireland’s five ancient provinces, runs along the River Boyne about 30 miles north of Dublin. Its fertile countryside is dotted with grazing sheep and historical monuments commemorating several important battles.
- Hotel highlight: You can drink pints and dance to traditional Irish music at The Sadlier Bar
Glenlo Abbey Hotel, County Galway
Located 2 miles from the Galway City Centre, this hotel is part of a 138 acre lake side estate that includes golfing, archery, fishing, and falconry.
- Glenio Abbey and the Pullman Restaurant: After exploring this historic abbey, visitors can dine at the onsite, Pullman Restaurant, which is shaped like an old train car.
- Galway, The Festival Country of Ireland: Drop in to one of many festivals happening in Galway.
Lough Eske Castle, County Donegal
Located in a secluded lakeside estate outside the town of Donegal, this five-star castle hotel was built in the Tudor-baronial style and dates back to the 1400s. It's been named the No. 1 hotel in Ireland by MyGuideIreland, and been recognized among the World's Best Castle Hotels by travel expert Stephanie Abrams. The castle itself features stone floors, an oak staircase, open fireplaces, and views of gardens and the Irish countryside.
- Must-see attractions: Glenveagh National Park in Donegal and Croagh Patrick in Mayo offer both beauty and adventure. Visitors can traverse trails of varying skill levels while enjoying the view.
- Dining options: After a day of hiking, guests can dine at restaurants such as the Gallery Bar and the Cedar's Grill Restaurant.
Cabra Castle, County Cavan
Cabra Castle is set on 100 acres of manicured gardens and parkland just outside Dún na Rí Forest Park in the northeastern corner of the country. Keep your eyes peeled for hare, mink, rabbit, and otter, which are often spotted in the park.
- Must-see attractions The ancient tombs of Newgrange, Knowth, Dowth, Fourknocks, Loughcrew and Tara predate Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Giza; they're located about an hour away on Ireland's east coast.
- Bird's eye view: Nearby Lough an Leagh Mountain has miles of walking trails and panoramic views of the countryside. On a clear day, you can take in up to 14 surrounding counties from the summit.
- Hotel highlight: Sample award-winning Irish cuisine at The Courtroom Restaurant
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for additional pricing options from any departure airport not listed on the Groupon Getaways deal page.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, for an additional fee you can arrange for that over the phone when you redeem your vacation.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
After your purchase, call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for the most up-to-date availability.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
If Great Value Vacations is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, Groupon will refund your purchase.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
All travelers over the age of 2 are required to purchase a Groupon. Different occupancy arrangements can be requested with Great Value Vacations at the time of reservation.