Top Reasons to Visit the Holiday Inn San Antonio Downtown Market Square
- It’s situated in the heart of downtown San Antonio, just a mile from the elegant estates of the King William Historic District and the river walk, where you can shop, eat, and people watch.
- The onsite Madera's restaurant serves breakfast and dinner, with dishes such as nachos and steaks. At the neighboring lounge, you can sip on cocktails or catch the game on the TV.
- Guest rooms are equipped with complimentary WiFi, cable TV, and coffeemakers and tea makers.
- When the Texas sun heats up, guests can head to the outdoor pool to cool off.
- The 24-hour fitness center features cardio and weight machines.
San Antonio, Texas: Historic Missions near Picturesque River Walk
In the late 1920s, architect Robert H. H. Hugman designed an urban park around the San Antonio River—a space he envisioned as an American version of Venice, where people could shop and dine along the waterfront. Completed in 1941, the 2.5-mile river walk still serves as a vital artery in the heart of San Antonio as it wends its way past cafés, hotels, bars, and shops.
Located one story below street level, the waterway is flanked on either side by stone pathways, quiet waterfalls, and towering cypress trees. The winding river-walk path reveals little surprises along the way, such as picturesque restaurants, public art installations, and cardboard cutouts of Davy Crockett. A new extension connects the river walk to the four-story San Antonio Museum of Art, where you'll find more than 25,000 sculptures and paintings that range from Roman antiquities to contemporary art.
Also neighboring the river walk is the Alamo. Thanks to the 1836 battle that made it a symbol of Texas independence, the Alamo has become the most visited tourist site in the state. It's actually one of five historic Spanish missions clustered around the San Antonio River. The largest, Mission San José, lies just 5 miles south of downtown. Its famed rose window is once again on display following an extensive renovation.