All-Inclusive Resort with Idyllic Beach
When Christopher Columbus first laid eyes on the Dominican Republic more than five centuries ago, he declared it "a beautiful island paradise." Today, the Parque Nacional del Este, near the country's southeastern edge, is so well-preserved that it might reflect what Columbus saw. Along the coast, mangrove lagoons shelter rare birds such as Hispaniolan parrots and red-throated frigatebirds, and offshore, coral outcroppings attract snorkelers and divers.
Just northwest of the park, the all-inclusive Hotel Be Live Canoa faces a spectacular shore of its own: Playa Dominicus. The country's first Blue Flag beach, it meets high environmental standards. Fodor's calls it an idyllic stretch of sand with "absolutely no undertow."
The resort's layout seamlessly connects the broad beach to the curvy outdoor pool. Soaring coconut palms and palapa-style thatched umbrellas dot the fine sand, and you can order tropical cocktails from the oceanfront or the swim-up bar. In one of two kids' clubs—one for ages 4–7, the other for ages 8–12—youngsters can splash through kiddie pools or build replicas of their favorite office buildings in the sand.
With the all-inclusive package, dine at four onsite restaurants, ranging from all-day buffets to sit-down Brazilian, Mexican, and Pan-Asian joints. Upstairs, sodas and beers stock mini fridges inside deluxe rooms replete with flat-screen TVs and private terraces.
Highlights of Playa Dominicus, Dominican Republic
- Pristine shoreline: A Blue Flag beach, Playa Dominicus has crystal-clear water free of contaminants and ideal for scuba divers and swimmers.
- Charter a catamaran or speedboat cruise to the Parque Nacional del Este, composedd of dense jungle and limestone bluffs and the deserted Isla Saona. Keep an eye out for bottlenose dolphins.
- La Romana has more than 250,000 inhabitants. Here, you’ll find one of the largest cigar factories in the world, which offers tours, tastings, and a duty-free zone where you can buy perfume bottles and gems.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to travel to the hotel from the airport? The best airport to fly in/out of is La Romana International Airport (LRM). Travel distance from the airport to the hotel is approximately 19 miles (30 km). Please contact the property at (809) 732-1000 for more information regarding travel arrangements.
2. Is there an additional occupancy fee, or do I have to purchase another Groupon? The standard occupancy of the Deluxe Room is two. However, up to two additional kids 12 or younger may be added for $30/night per kid; or, an additional guest age 13 or older and an additional kid 12 or younger may be added for $47/night and $30/night, respectively; or, an additional guest age 13 or older may be added for an additional $47/night.
3. Will I be approached to attend a timeshare sales presentation? Timeshares are common in the Dominican Republic and so are the sales pitches that accompany them. You may be asked at hotel check-in if you are interested in attending a sales presentation. If you don’t want to attend, simply decline and you won’t be approached again. If you decline a presentation, you will not lose the value of your Groupon or have to pay additional fees.
4. Which activities and amenities are included in the resort credits? Resort credits are not offered with this deal.
5. Are dinner reservations required for restaurants? Is there a dress code? Reservations are required at the “Asian,” "Mexican," Gourmet and Rodizio restaurants. Dress code is formal at the "Asian" restaurant; dress code is informal at the buffet, snack bar, sports bar and Bar Guarapo. Guests must be 7 or older at the Gourmet restaurant.