Hotel at a Glance: Hotel Vista de Olas
“Vista de Olas” means “View of the Waves” in Spanish, and you can get just that from this hilltop resort. All five of its freestanding villas overlook the Pacific Ocean from private terraces. There’s also an infinity pool with a cascading waterfall and 180-degree vista of the coastline. The restaurant has similarly striking views from its open-air patio, particularly at sunset.
- Activities package: Each getaway includes daily breakfast, a barbecue dinner, an ATV tour to Montezuma Falls, horseback riding, and a ziplining or surfing excursion.
- Dine by candlelight on fresh seafood, bacon-wrapped filet mignon, and baby back ribs.
- In-room amenities: king-size canopy bed with orthopedic mattress, mini refrigerator, private terrace, and air conditioning
- Unique design elements: Villa bathrooms let in skylight and feature intricate tile mosaics along the walls.
- Signature spa service: tropical facials that use local ingredients such as honey and lime, banana and mint, or cucumber and papaya
Mal Pais, Puntarenas, Costa Rica: Consistently Good Surf Spots Along the Pacific Coast
Surfing is king in the beach town of Mal Pais. Located along the Pacific coastline of the Nicoya Peninsula, the town gets consistently good waves that sometimes reach 20 feet or more in height. Playa Carmen is one of the most popular surf spots, thanks to a steady supply of rideable waves and beachfront amenities that include a pizza joint and bar. A few miles north in the village of Santa Theresa, Suck Rock boasts larger and more challenging waves. Beginners can get in on the fun with private surfing or stand-up paddleboarding lessons.
You’ll find less-crowded beaches inside the Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve, along with a wealth of native wildlife that can be spotted along two hiking trails. Be on the lookout for brown pelicans, howler and capuchin monkeys, and raccoon-like coati. From here it’s just a short drive to the scenic waterfalls of Montezuma, which can be reached via a moderately easy hike.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to travel to the hotel from the airport? The best airport to fly in/out of is Juan Santamaria International Airport (airport code: SJO). For more travel information, please click here or call (506) 2640-0183.
2. Is there an additional occupancy fee, or do I have to purchase another Groupon? The standard occupancy of the Deluxe Villa is 2 adults; however, up to two kids 12 or younger may be added for an additional $25 per night for each kid (room only).
3. Which activities and amenities are included in the resort credits? Resort credits are not offered with this deal.
4. Are dinner reservations required for restaurants? Is there a dress code? For information regarding your dining options, please click here or call (506) 2640-0183.