Northern Lights, Lava Fields, and Nightlife in Iceland’s Capital
This trip includes:
- Round-trip airfare from Icelandair between Reykjavik (KEF) and Washington, DC (IAD), Denver (DEN), Boston (BOS), New York (JFK), Seattle (SEA), or Toronto (YYZ)
- Three nights at Hotel Reykjavík Lights (October departures) or Center Hotel Plaza (November departures)
- Daily breakfast
- Golden Circle Afternoon tour from Iceland Excursions
- Northern Lights Mystery tour from Iceland Excursions
- Airport transfers from AirportExpress
As far as bucket-list items go, few can top seeing the Northern Lights in person. The mysterious curtains of color have inspired countless myths and left generations of spectators in awe of nature’s beauty. On this four-day vacation in Iceland, you’ll get a chance to track the lights on a guided tour and get to know Reykjavik, the world’s northernmost capital city. Snow-capped mountains frame the town, which comes to life at night—especially during runtur, a wild pub crawl held on Fridays.
On the evening of your first day in Reykjavik, you’ll meet with a sightseeing group in the hotel lobby and travel deep into the Icelandic countryside in search of the Northern Lights on a 3–5-hour journey. The next day, the group will depart on a wide-ranging, 6-hour tour that starts at Thingvellir National Park, where the Icelandic parliament was established in 930 AD. Then it’s on to the Gullfoss waterfall, known as the “Golden Falls” for its sunny glow in the summertime. The tour ends with a stop at two geothermic geysers, including one at Strokkur that reliably spouts hot water into the air every few minutes.
You can spend the rest of your time in Reykjavik exploring on your own or you can opt for day tours (not included with this Groupon), such as horseback riding along Viking routes and bird-watching in the West Fjords. Or you could pay at visit to the Blue Lagoon, a popular geothermal spa located amid lava fields.