Hotel at a Glance: Inn on York Street Bed and Breakfast
A huge lawn unfurls in front of Inn on York Street Bed and Breakfast, a grand edifice that was built at the end of the 19th century. The 3-acre property’s landscaped gardens and wraparound porch provide peaceful places to recharge after a day out in the charming town of Chester or in bustling Charlotte, an easy day trip away.
- Where you’ll stay: Guest rooms complement antique furnishings with modern amenities—think carved four-poster beds next to plasma TVs.
- Three-course breakfast: Kick-start the day with a complimentary spread that might include homemade eggs benedict.
- Go whitewater rafting or tubing on the Catawba River, stay back at the inn to work on your tan by the outdoor pool, or hike in one of the many state parks close by.
- Ride roller coasters at Carowinds, the “Thrill Capital of the Southeast.” It’s about an hour’s drive away.
- In the evening you can close out the day with bites and brews at Summit Food and Spirits, where you get a 10% discount courtesy of the hotel.
- Recent award: The property earned a 2014 and 2015 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence.
Chester, South Carolina: Historic City with Military Monuments and River Canoeing
Located in north-central South Carolina, the town of Chester dates back to the early 1700s. In the historic downtown, you’ll find a blend of architectural styles, including Victorian-era homes and redbrick buildings adorned with decorative murals. Perched at the top of a hill is Monument Square. This historical attraction features authentic Civil War cannons and the Aaron Burr Rock, where the former vice president once stood while passing through town on his way to stand trial for treason. You can learn more about local history at the Chester County Historical Museum.
There’s also some lovely scenery here. Head to Chester State Park to go hiking, fishing, or boating on a 160-acre lake. Or you can rent a canoe and set out on the beautiful Catawba River. Back on dry land, golfers will want to sample some of the more than 20 courses located within a 35-minute drive of town.