Top Reasons to Stay at Kavanaugh’s Sylvan Lake Resort
- It’s located on the shores of Upper Sylvan Lake, where you’ll have access to a variety of outdoor pursuits, including kayaking, sailing, and fishing.
- You can hike or bike across the resort’s nature trails, or hit up the nearby Paul Bunyan Trail, one of the longest continuously paved trails in the United States.
- Two sandy beaches are located on the grounds.
- The resort’s recreation complex includes an indoor pool and spa, a fitness room, and a game room.
- A gas fireplace comes standard in every room.
- Maples, Cedarwoods, Woods, Oaks, and Views units all have lakeside decks and varying amenities.
- Activities and amenities are seasonal and subject to weather conditions.
Brainerd Lakes Area, Minnesota: Outdoor Haven with More Than 500 Lakes and Wooded Hiking Trails
More than 500 lakes and rivers make up the Brainerd Lakes area in northeastern Minnesota. The forested region is just a two-hour drive from the Twin Cities, making it a popular retreat for city dwellers looking to take advantage of its world-class golf courses and hiking trails. The most popular hike is the Paul Bunyan Trail, which stretches 110 miles. The paved trail is massive—a fitting tribute to the legendary lumberjack, whom the city of Brainerd claims as a native son. You can see the world’s largest animated statue of him just a few miles east of town.
The state’s second-largest lake, Mille Lacs Lake, and several interconnected lakes are located here; naturally, the Brainerd Lakes area is popular for watersports, such as boating, diving, jet skiing, kayaking, paddleboarding, and fishing. There are a number of expert fishing guides in the area who can show you the best ways to reel in the region’s bass and muskie. The walleye fishing here is particularly good. Brainerd’s also known for its annual ice-fishing tournament, held every January.