Hotel at a Glance: Le St-Martin Hôtel
Downtown Montreal moves at a steady pace right outside Le St-Martin Hôtel, but the boutique hotel offers a welcome respite from the frenetic whir of urban life. Visitors can indulge in fusion cuisine, lounge in a saltwater pool that’s shaded by palm trees, or admire the city from inside sleek guest rooms.
- Gourmet cuisine: Bistro L’Aromate’s owner and chef, Jean-François Plante, artfully prepares duck confit and wild bass from Lake Ontario.
- A year-round pool lounge offers views of Montreal’s skyscrapers; a waterfall and a small wooden bridge add to the luxury.
- Posh accommodations feature Laurier bedding, LCD TVs, and free WiFi; Grand Luxe rooms look out on the city.
- Nearby attractions: Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and Notre-Dame Basilica are within 10 minutes of the hotel.
- Added perk: Option three of this Getaway includes valet parking at breakfast for two at Bistro L’Aromate.
- Notable nods: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2013 and 2014, AAA Four Diamond Award in 2014
Montreal, Quebec: Canada’s French-Speaking Cultural Capital
Cobbled streets, historic architecture, and horse-drawn carriages are common throughout Montreal, Canada’s second-largest city and one of the oldest European settlements in North America. It was founded by the French in 1642, and 2 million people speak French here as an official language.
A good first stop for visitors is the Bonsecours Market, a domed plaza where local merchants have been peddling their wares for more than 100 years. As you browse the area, check out the elaborate Notre-Dame Basilica, one of the city’s most famous churches. It was built in the Gothic Revival style, and it houses a fascinating crypt filled with archaeological treasures.
Montreal is renowned for its music and arts scenes. One of the best places to see a show is the Place des Arts, a huge complex of theaters and concert halls that occupies a whole block downtown. Opera, ballet, symphony, and jazz shows fill most of the Place des Arts’ calendar, but there’s the occasional rock band or standup comedy show as well.