Hotel at a Glance: Lizard Creek Lodge
Lizard Creek Lodge is situated at the base of the Fernie Alpine Resort, tucked away in the Canadian Rockies. In the winter, it's a popular ski resort, but there's plenty to do in warmer months, ranging from whitewater rafting to hiking to golf.
- Recommended activity: Search for bighorn sheep, moose, bald, eagles, black bears, and grizzlies on a half- or full-day wildlife-viewing tour.
- Take a hike along the Castle Mountain trail and you'll be rewarded with panoramic vistas of the Rockies.
- A full kitchen is included in each one- or two-bedroom suite, as well as a fireplace and a private balcony.
- Gourmet cuisine: Chefs at the onsite restaurant prepare dishes such as tea-smoked duck breast with croquette potatoes, blueberry jus, and apple-cider gastrique.
- Go for a dip in one of the hot tubs or the outdoor pool.
- Pamper yourself with a massage at the onsite spa.
Highlights of Fernie, British Columbia
- Alpine outpost: Situated at 3,000 feet above sea level, Fernie is surrounded by the snow-capped peaks of the Canadian Rockies' East Kootenay Range.
- Notable press: National Geographic has named Fernie 1 of the "World's 25 Best Ski Towns."
- See mountains up close at Fernie Alpine Resort, about 5 miles outside of town. Go hiking or mountain biking on its trails in summer, or enjoy skiing or snowboarding in the winter.
- The Arts Station was once a train station; it now houses a restaurant, two art galleries, a pottery studio, and a 100-seat theater that regularly shows indie films.