Property at a Glance: Mountain Creek Cabins
These log cabins stand amid thick clusters of pine and maple trees, giving the property the rustic, far-off feel of camping in the wilderness during pioneer times. Yet the resort boasts enough modern amenities—including private outdoor hot tubs, electric log fireplaces, and free WiFi—to make you feel at home. Hop in the car for a short, scenic drive to nearby Coopers Rock State Forest.
- Lounge under the stars in the outdoor hot tub on your private porch. Log furnishings and a electric log fireplace help you stay warm once you’re inside.
- Get pizza delivered to your cabin or stay in and whip up a meal in your fully equipped kitchen.
- Scenic hiking trails follow old rail lines around the resort, which has trail maps to help you plan the best route.
- Fresh maple syrup: The resort makes syrup from the maple trees on the property.
- Nearby activities: nature hikes at Coopers Rock State Forest and skiing and tubing in nearby McHenry, Maryland.
Bruceton Mills, West Virginia: Natural Beauty Close to Small-Town Charm
The wilderness around Mountain Creek Cabins is filled with opportunities for communing with Mother Nature, including hiking paths made from repurposed railroad lines. Less than 5 miles away is Chestnut Ridge Park, a wide expanse set aside for fishing, hiking, and climbing. A 30-minute drive east brings you to downtown Morgantown, a slice of quintessential small-town America next to the main campus of West Virginia University.