Property at a Glance: Nantahala Cabins
For the traveler looking to get away from it all, Nantahala Cabins offers seclusion and tranquility amid one of America’s most scenic regions. Tucked alongside Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the cabins are 10 miles from the nearest towns, Bryson City and Nantahala. Various activities are available nearby, along with mountain biking and horseback riding.
- Choose your cabin: Guests can choose from 10 units. Cabin #6—the three-bedroom Wolf Den—offers space for up to eight people. Cabins #8 and #9 are two-bedroom, two-bath units with views of the mountains.
- For extra seclusion: Book the two-bedroom Edelweiss or Silvermine Hideaway cabins, located about 6 miles from the main office.
- In all units: full kitchens, satellite TV, wireless Internet, air conditioning, heating, porches, and picnic areas with fire pits
- In most units: hot tubs, fireplaces, and mountain views
- Distance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park: about 20 miles
Bryson City, North Carolina: Small-Town Charm in Great Smoky Mountains
The small town of Bryson City sits amid the woodsy slopes of the Great Smoky Mountains in southwestern North Carolina. The Tuckasegee River flows right through town, creating picturesque waterfalls and fishing holes teeming with rainbow and brook trout. On clear days, head a few miles north to catch a 360-degree view of the entire range from the 6,643-foot Clingmans Dome, the highest point of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. You can also tour the rugged wilderness by train—the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad runs year-round excursions in restored historic railroad cars that depart from Bryson City.
In winter, the Cataloochee Ski Area opens 18 trails and slopes on its challenging downhill course. Once all the snow thaws, whitewater rafting and kayaking are popular at nearby Nantahala Gorge. All the while, downtown Bryson City charms visitors with antique shops, handcrafted pottery, and housemade chocolates.