Hotel at a Glance: Nootka Island Lodge
It’s not hard to get in touch with nature at the secluded Nootka Island Lodge, which is perched on the edge of the Pacific and surrounded by virgin cedar, spruce, and fir forests. But the real draw swims beneath the water’s surface—its uncrowded fishing area overflows with chinook and coho salmon, as well as halibut and ling and rock cod. After long days of fishing, hang out by the lounge’s large, stone fireplace.
- Reel in your catch for the day and the lodge’s chefs will cook it up for you. Family-style dining in the onsite dining room or guests will enjoy gourmet meals including organic fresh local produce and a variety of meats and poultry. Specialty diets also accommodated upon request.
- Bald eagles, bears, whales, otters, and sea birds are among the local wildlife you might spot while fishing or exploring the area.
- Accommodations are either private or shared. All packages include a guaranteed private room. Shared rooms are available upon request.
- Appetizers and free beverages are served at the lodge each evening.
- Get some vitamin D by sunbathing on the lodge deck.
- Don’t forget to pack items such as sunglasses, sunblock, cameras, flashlights, clothes for layering, and all toiletries and medicines you may need.
All-Inclusive Fishing Packages
You’ll enjoy a minimum of 8 hours of guided fishing a day, virtually none of which will be interrupted by travel time—the lodge is only about 5 minutes away from prime fishing spots. Each fishing package includes the basics, like rain gear, boats, and fishing gear, as well as the use of a 16–24-ft. fishing boat with a Yamaha engine. These fishing packages also include the following, depending on option:
- Standard: Includes private or shared room (based on availability), all meals, boat, guide, all fishing gear, and the cleaning and packing of your catch.
- Deluxe packages include all Standard package inclusions, as well as a bottle of Russell’s Northwest Seasoning, Free Trip drawings(1 in 12 odds of winning Deluxe or Premier package), Big Fish Derby chance for two free Deluxe trips(see derby details), Drawing for a free trip when you go bottom fishing, custom vacuum packed fish catch and 15% off all Nootka Island Lodge apparel.
- Premier packages include all Deluxe package inclusions, as well as a private room, a complimentary Canadian fishing license, unlimited fishing, arrival, gourmet meals with specialty desserts, breakfast drinks, wine with lunch and dinner, specialty beer at the lodge, GoPro video of your fishing experience, seafood gift box, and free lodge apparel.
Nootka Island, British Columbia: Unspoiled Scenery and Top-Notch Salmon Fishing
When Captain James Cook originally set foot on British Columbia, his first taste of the region was Nootka Island. Today, the area remains almost as untouched as it was when Cook found it: mountains give way to virgin forests and beautiful beaches. You can explore all of this and more with a hike on the 22-mile Nootka Island Trail. Other popular pastimes include whale watching and fishing in Nootka Sound. Its placid waters are home to halibut, cod, and chinook and coho salmon.