Hotel at a Glance: Oakwood Resort
Oakwood Resort has stood on the shores of Lake Wawasee—Indiana's largest natural lake—since 1893. Guests of the resort have easy access to the town's winter activities, including ice skating and ice boating. During the latter activity, sailboats are fitted with skis and sent gliding across the ice. Rooms and suites either overlook the lake or a courtyard; all of them feature in-room Keurig coffeemakers and flat-screen HD TVs with Showtime.
- Easy weekend getaway: The resort is within a 2.5-hour drive of Chicago, Indianapolis, and Grand Rapids.
- Fresh seafood and steaks at The Pier, which also serves cocktails and a dozen craft beers
- Signature cocktail: The "Oak" Woodford Manhattan, a blend of Woodford Reserve, Martini Rossi Sweet Vermouth, and a splash of bitters
- Pamper yourself with botanical-based salon and spa services at J Three, an AVEDA concept salon.
Syracuse, Indiana: Lakefront Living in Northern Indiana
- Never far from the waterfront: Syracuse boasts seven lakes, including the largest natural lake in the state, Lake Wawasee. The 3,500-acre lake is a popular destination all year long.
- Lake activities: swimming and boating (fishing boats, pontoon boats, and jet skis are available to rent at the lake); in winter, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and ice boating
- Thriving artistic community:Downtown Syracuse—a charming community on the shores of Syracuse Lake—is lined with numerous galleries and shops selling locally made artwork and crafts.