Hotel at a Glance: Oakwood Resort
Oakwood Resort has stood on the shores of Lake Wawasee—Indiana’s largest natural lake—since 1893. Guests of the resort have easy access to the activities along the lake, which in the winter includes ice fishing and skiing to ice skating and snowmobile riding. The resort is within a 2.5-hour drive of Chicago, Indianapolis, and Grand Rapids, making it an easy weekend escape.
- Enjoy the scenery: Rooms and suites overlook the lake or a courtyard; all of them feature in-room Keurig coffeemakers and flat-screen high-definition TVs.
- Stay connected with the complimentary WiFi.
- Fresh seafood and steaks at The Pier, which also serves cocktails and craft beers
- Signature cocktail: the “Oak” Woodford manhattan, a blend of Woodford Reserve, sweet vermouth, and a splash of bitters
- Pamper yourself with botanical-based salon and spa services at J Three, an Aveda concept salon.
Syracuse, Indiana: Lakefront Living in Northern Indiana
You’re never far from the waterfront in Syracuse—the town boasts seven lakes, including the largest natural lake in the state, Lake Wawasee. The 3,500-acre lake is a popular destination all year long. When the lake freezes over, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and ice boating are popular pastimes. Warm-weather activities include swimming and boating (fishing boats, pontoon boats, and jet skis are available to rent at the lake).
Syracuse is also home to a thriving artistic community. Downtown Syracuse—a charming community on the shores of Syracuse Lake—is lined with numerous galleries and shops selling locally made artwork and crafts.