Hotel at a Glance: Pearl River Resort
Pearl River Resort, which calls itself “Vegas with sweet tea,” is a luxury complex in central Mississippi with two hotel casinos. Located across the street from each other, the Silver Star and Golden Moon hotels are connected by a glass-enclosed sky bridge. Each hotel also boasts its own amenities: the strikingly modern Golden Moon has a 9,000-seat performance venue, and 571 rooms with 122 suites and 33 VIP suites. Silver Star features a variety of dining options including an award-winning steakhouse restaurant. This Getaways deal allows you to stay at either location with access to all the resort amenities.
- More than 2000 slots and 65 table games: include blackjack, roulette, dice, and 24-hour poker room with non-smoking tables and food service
- Wine Spectator Award Winner: Phillip M’s restaurant serves lobster tail, filet mignon, and upscale bar snacks such as tuna tataki and prime rib pot stickers
- Pamper yourself at the resort spa with a sea salt body polish, an aromatherapy massage, or a soak in one of the steam baths
- The world’s first Michael Jackson slot game plays “Smooth Criminal” and other tunes from the King of Pop while you spin the “Platinum Record”
- Heated pools are located at both hotels, and are open between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.
Philadelphia, Mississippi: Friendly City with Old-Time General Store
The smaller, lesser-known Philadelphia is located in central Mississippi’s Neshoba County, known for the annual Neshoba County Fair, where President Reagan gave his first post-convention speech during the 1980 presidential campaign. Despite its size, the area is home to several other interesting landmarks—the Williams Brothers Store, an old-fashioned general store dating back to 1907 was featured in National Geographic as a go-to spot for everything from “needles to horse collars.” More than 100 years later, the family-run shop still sells blue denim overalls, saddles, and smoked hams hung from the ceiling.