A soft hotel bed is incredibly comfortable to sleep in, eclipsed only by a hammock made of Muppet hands. Enjoy a home away from foam with this Groupon.
Choose Between Two Options
- $129 for a 2-night stay for up to four in a Park Avenue cabin, valid for check-in Thursday–Saturday only ($219.90 value)
- $109 for a 2-night stay for up to four in a Park Avenue cabin, valid for check-in Sunday–Wednesday only ($219.90 value)
Hotel at a Glance: River’s Edge Resort and Campground
Set amid the Rockies just south of Park City, Utah’s Heber Valley is home to stunning mountain scenery and several natural wonders, including Timpanogos Cave National Monument and Provo Canyon. Located in the heart of this wilderness, River’s Edge Resort and Campgrounds gives guests access to several outdoor opportunities. The setting supports makes for unforgettable hiking and mountain biking in the Wasatch Range, as well as world-class fly-fishing in the Provo River, located just across the street. There you can fish at one of the country’s top blue ribbon trout fisheries—some parts of the river contain more than 3,000 trout per mile—after stocking up on tackle and bait at the resort’s country store.
- Nifty In-Room Amenities: Rustic Park Avenue Cabins include a full kitchen and two bedrooms, one of which has an adjacent deck overlooking the Wasatch Range.
- Take a Hike: You can spot moose, sand hill cranes, and other wildlife along the resort’s trail system, which runs through a wetland nature preserve.
- Nearby State Park: The resort is right on the edge of Jordanelle State Park, home to the Jordanelle Reservoir, a popular spot for boating, fishing, and other water activities.
- Must-See Attraction: About 6 miles south, Heber Valley Railroad is home to a 100-year-old excursion train that takes passengers past the glacier-carved Provo Canyon and Deer Creek Reservoir’s majestic wildlife.
- Warm Up: At night, guests gather by a cluster of crackling campfires to roast s’mores.
- Hot Tip: The resort doesn’t provide cooking supplies and eating utensils, although a basic kitchen set-up is available for rent. Be sure to bring your own if you plan on eating at home.
Heber Valley, UT: World-Class Fly-Fishing and Mountain Golf Courses Near Utah’s Ski Country
Set amid the Wasatch Mountain Range, Utah’s Ski Country is home to premier recreation resorts including Deer Valley, the Canyons, and Park City Mountain Resort. About 20 miles south of here is the lesser-known Heber Valley, a hidden gem nestled between the mountains’ windswept canyons. The area sees some traffic due to its high-profile neighbors, but with three state parks, five mountain golf courses, and some of the country’s best fly-fishing, this backcountry is a premier destination in its own right. For an introduction to the area, board the Heber Valley Railroad—which dates back to 1899—for a scenic ride through Provo Valley and past the Wasatch Mountains aboard steam and vintage diesel trains.
Anglers flock to Heber Valley’s Provo River year-round to catch brown, rainbow, and cutthroat trout. Part of the river has been designated a “Blue Ribbon Fishery” by the United States, a status reserved for the country’s highest quality fisheries. During the summer, a handful of world-class golf courses attract visitors. The 18-hole lake course at Wasatch Mountain State Park sits at an elevation of 6,000 feet, surrounded by hiking trails and alpine forests filled with bison, deer, and osprey. Summertime also means free concerts in Heber City Park, and sailing and windsurfing at Deer Creek State Park.