Property at a Glance: Silverthorn Resort
A day on Lake Shasta’s shores can be relaxing, but guests at the Silverthorn Resort can take it one step further by renting an Executive or Presidential houseboat on the lake. They can sail its cool waters with up to 16 of their friends and family.
- Full kitchens on the boats include ovens, dishwashers, trash compactors, refrigerators, and all dishes, cookware, and silverware.
- Make a splash by sliding into the lake using the houseboat’s built-in water slide.
- Have a cookout: Grill up burgers, veggies, or sausages on the boat’s propane barbecue.
- Catch some rays by lying out on the roof’s sun deck.
- Stock up on supplies including groceries and fishing bait at the onsite store.
- Choose the Presidential Houseboat for extra room, including a second deck with a penthouse and a command bridge.
Redding, California: The Jewel of Northern California
One of Sacramento Valley’s largest cities, Redding serves as a hub for exploring the region’s lakes, forests, and mountains. With Lake Shasta just 14 miles to the north, Lassen Volcanic National Park 48 miles to the east, and Whiskeytown National Recreation Area’s waterfalls to the west, the opportunities for outdoor adventure seem endless. There are 220 miles of trails throughout the Redding area, perfect for hiking and biking.
In the center of town, the impressive 700-foot-long Sundial Bridge at Turtle Bay attracts visitors as a marvel of modern engineering. Its 217-foot support tower points due north, making it a functioning sundial as well. The bridge joins both campuses of the 300-acre Turtle Bay Exploration Park, where visitors can explore the arboretum and gardens or just stroll by the Sacramento River’s shores. Or catch a show at the Cascade Theatre, which was restored to its original art-deco luster in 2004.