Hotel at a Glance: Sir Sam’s Inn & Spa
At the adults-only Sir Sam’s Inn & Spa, couples escape the stresses of everyday life in 4.5-star accommodations on the shores of Eagle Lake. The lakefront’s densely wooded landscapes and rolling hills invite visitors to immerse themselves in nature’s serenity. Back in the room, tuckered tourists cozy up next to wood-burning fireplaces, or let the tension melt away in muscle-massaging jetted baths.
- The royal treatment: At the WaterSpa, a pool massages sore limbs and staff pamper guests with facials and aromatherapy treatments.
- Optional perk: Some options include full-day passes for the ski lifts at Sam’s Ski & Ride, a 10-minute walk from the inn.
- Onsite dining at the romantic Twin Fires restaurant
- The great outdoors is within easy reach. Guests can marvel at foliage in a kayak, zip down ski slopes, or stroll through groomed trails.
- Gaze-worthy stars: Thanks to the secluded location and low light pollution, celestial bodies shine brightly in the night sky over Eagle Lake.
- Recent accolades: TripAdvisor’s 2017 Certificate of Excellence
Ontario’s Haliburton Highlands: All-Seasons Resort Destination with a Thriving Arts Scene
Sparkling lakes, scenic trails, and charming villages dot an area of central Ontario known as the Haliburton Highlands. The highlands are best known for having an abundance of all-season outdoor recreation. The Haliburton County Rail Trail is a popular route for walking and biking in warmer months and snowmobiling in winter. It crisscrosses more than 20 miles (34 km) of countryside, with a number of access points for shorter treks.
The Haliburton Highlands also harbor a thriving arts scene. Almost every community has art studios and galleries that regularly host events for the general public. The Haliburton Sculpture Forest features outdoor sculptures by Canadian and international artists connected by a series of paths.