Hotel at a Glance: Skylark Shores Resort
Located in California’s scenic Lake Country, the Skylark Shores Resort is set directly along Clear Lake (known as the “Bass Capital of the West”), featuring views of Mt. Konocti in the distance. A tranquil, nature-focused resort, Skylark Shores features plenty of amenities for boating and fishing, as well as picnic tables set under trees.
- Angle for bass off the hotel’s private fishing pier. There’s also a cleaning area for prepping your catch.
- Room with a view: Each spacious guest unit overlooks the lake, lawn, or pool.
- Wine package: Select options include a tasting at Steele Wines, as well as a bottle of wine.
- Make a splash in the outdoor pool
- Outdoor fun: Walk along the lake, have a picnic on the property, or visit one of several nearby vineyards.
- Driving time to San Francisco: about 2.5 hours
Lakeport, California: Clear Lake and Wineries
Sometimes called the “Bass Capital of the West,” Lakeport is home to Clear Lake, one of the largest (and oldest) natural bodies of water in California. More than 100 miles of shoreline draw year-round visitors to this scenic area; they come to boat, swim, waterski, and, especially, fish. Largemouth bass, catfish, bluegill, and rainbow trout all can be caught here.
On land, hiking and biking trails abound, and there are more than 300 species of birds to spot along the way. Keep an eye out for giant salamanders and river otters, too. The many wineries surrounding Lakeport are also worth checking out, and most of them offer daily tastings and tours.