Top Reasons to Visit Songbird Prairie Bed and Breakfast
- With its wooded setting in the Indiana countryside and only five suites—each containing a fireplace and oversize whirlpool tub—Songbird Prairie Bed and Breakfast is an ideal spot for a romantic getaway.
- The inn is a half-hour drive from the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, where you’ll find sandy beaches, great bird-watching opportunities, and easy bike trails.
- Midwest Living named Songbird one of its favorite Midwest bed and breakfasts, praising the homemade breakfasts served with fresh flowers and herbs from the onsite garden.
- Travel + Leisure liked the “grounds’ prairie grass, roses, and many trees that lure the namesake songbirds on their way to and from the Indiana Dunes.”
- Breakfast is served in the sunroom and may include bacon-and-cheddar scones, french-toast soufflé, or buttery croissants with jam.
- Reserve an afternoon tea service (extra fees) to enjoy freshly baked scones, tea sandwiches, and chocolates amid the musical chirping of songbirds that make their homes in the surrounding forest.
- You’ll be treated to a sparkling beverage and chocolate-covered strawberries.
Valparaiso, Indiana: Thriving Parks System Close to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
The city of Valparaiso is about an hour southeast of downtown Chicago and less than a half-hour drive from the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. In the summer, the lakeshore draws beachcombers to its 15 miles of sandy beachfront along the shores of Lake Michigan. You can also explore your surroundings on several miles of hiking trails that wend across dunes, wetlands, and prairies.
There’s plenty of green space in the city, too—Valparaiso has a thriving park system that comprises more than 15 parks and gardens with activities for all ages. Bicentennial Park has softball fields, tennis courts, and playground equipment. Or, head to Ogden Gardens Park to stroll through a japanese garden set with bridges, a teahouse, and a koi pond.