Hotel at a Glance: Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa
Located in California’s southern wine country, the European-style Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa focuses on romance. The four-star hotel is tucked away on a quiet country road, set on 60 acres of rolling pastures, terraced gardens, and walkways lined with wildflowers. When they’re not serving delicious housemade dinners, the innkeepers can arrange private horseback rides.
- Gourmet meals: Every day, Austrian-born innkeeper Johannes Zachbauer prepares meals using fresh Pacific seafood and vegetables plucked from the hotel’s organic gardens.
- Wine lovers’ paradise: Select options include a bottle of chocolate wine, and one option includes a bottle of sparkling wine.
- Have a spa day: With one of this Getaway’s options, you’ll be treated to a 75-minute couples massage.
- Work on your short game on the nine-hole putting green.
- Enjoy the great outdoors by admiring the inn’s gardens or striking out on one of the nearby hiking trails.
- Go for a swim in the outdoor pool.
Bodega Bay, California: Tiny Fishing Village and Site of Hitchcock Film
Bodega Bay is set along California’s rocky Sonoma coast, roughly 70 miles north of San Francisco. Much of the town’s activity centers on its namesake harbor. Professional and sport-fishing fleets haul in dungeness crab, king salmon, and cod. You can watch boats bring in their catches, and then dine on ultrafresh seafood at local restaurants. Whale-watching tours are also popular; thousands of gray whales pass through the area from December to May as they migrate south.
Fans of Alfred Hitchcock may recognize Bodega Bay as the setting for his 1963 film The Birds. Potter Schoolhouse, which has a prominent presence in the movie, still stands today. But don’t worry: in real life, there’s nothing murderous about the local bird population. As you hike along the trails and granite bluffs of Sonoma Coast State Park, keep an eye out for warblers, pelicans, and sandpipers.