Hotel at a Glance: Starfish Point
The Pacific Ocean and the craggy Yaquina Head formation are both visible from Starfish Point, a coastal Oregon condo property right on the beach. And though the condos feel tucked away, they’re also close to shopping and restaurants in quaint downtown Newport, just three miles south.
- Explore tide pools on a walk down the hotel’s private illuminated path toward the shoreline.
- Where you’ll stay Renovated two-bedroom condos overlook Agate Beach; each features a fully equipped kitchen, four-person hot tub, gas fireplace, a 47-inch flat-screen TV, and a private deck.
- Enjoy dinner: from your ocean-view dining room.
- Watch for whales from the railings of the building’s multilevel main deck.
- Notable award: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newport, Oregon: Quiet Bayfront Area with Historical Buildings and Seafood Markets
U.S. Highway 101 travels the entire Oregon coast, threading through the bustling business districts on Newport’s north side and its quiet, historical Bayfront below. Along Yaquina Bay, 19th-century buildings and cottages are set amid seafood markets and the docking ships of a large commercial fishing fleet. Beach activity wanes in the winter, when windsurfers and storm watchers take advantage of high gusts and beachcombers wait for waves to wash ashore seashells and piggy banks filled with sand dollars.
In early spring, roughly 18,000 gray whales swim by Newport’s shores during migration. When the skies and seas are calm enough, charter boats sail out for close encounters with the gentle giants as well as views of the coastline and the occasional sea lion and harbor seal.