Hotel at a Glance: The Blue Belle Inn B&B and Tea House
The Blue Belle Inn B&B and Tea House brims with romance. The 1896 Queen Anne Victorian inn has flowers climbing up its porches and gables, bay windows with leaded glass, ornate ceilings, and flickering fireplaces to set the mood. You’ll find candlelit tables at dinner and rooms with views of the gardens, and be within walking distance of everything in all of tiny St. Ansgar.
- Tasteful touches: All rooms are uniquely decorated, and may contain a Jacuzzi tub, a fireplace, hand-stitched quilts, or skylights.
- Have a cup o’ tea: The Inn features its own tea house, where you can have lunch, dinner, and homemade desserts in a sunlit and comfortable dining room.
- Complimentary breakfast served each morning.
- Curl up with a book in one of the plush common areas, or wander the landscaped grounds past a fish pond and flower gardens.
- Activities at the inn: Murder-mystery dinners, concerts, and craft workshops
- Walk to the antique and country stores in downtown St Ansgar.
St. Ansgar, Iowa: Country Town with Rural Pastimes
Only about a thousand people live in St. Ansgar, set in northern Iowa, right across the Minnesota border. Its sensibilities are quaint: The entire city is accessible on foot, and there’s a cute downtown, with antique stores and a few restaurants and stores. Rent a canoe in town and paddle down the Cedar River, go hunting or hiking along Turtle Creek, or bring a bike and ride through the surrounding countryside.
You’ll be within a 2-hour drive of the bright lights and museums of Minneapolis. But you just as well could enjoy your time exploring all the nearby country towns, such as Stacyville, Osage, Kensett, and Manly.