Hotel at a Glance: Tucker Peak Lodge
This log-cabin lodge sits on 5 secluded acres just a few miles outside of the mountain village of Julian. In the common room, a large picture window looks out to the surrounding Pine Hills, which are covered in a thick blanket of pine and oak trees.
- Cozy up in front of the stone fireplace with a good book, or play a game of pool.
- In-room amenities: Each guest room is different, but may include a fireplace, four-poster bed, or jacuzzi.
- Eat al fresco: Grab a snack and eat it on the deck amid stunning mountain views.
- Go shopping in Julian and swing by the innkeepers' shop, Tucker's Treasures.
Highlights of Julian, California
- Four seasons: Julian's position at just over 4,200 feet on top of the Laguna Mountains means that, unlike the rest of Southern California, it enjoys four distinct seasons.
- Gold-rush history: Julian was the first and only town in San Diego County to experience a gold rush; as a result, the entire township is a designated historic district.
- Current claim to fame: The apples grown here—less sweet than traditional types—are ideal for baking into homemade pies, brewing into cider, and using to prop open doors.
- Little-known wine country: You can get complimentary tastings of pinot grigio and pinot noir at a number of award-winning vineyards in the area.
- Recommended hike: The 2.5-mile hike to the top of nearby Volcan Mountain reveals panoramic views of the desert, mountains, and sea.