Hotel at a Glance: Villa Azalea
A litany of glowing TripAdvisor reviews has propelled Villa Azalea to the No. 4 spot on the site’s list of Puerto Vallarta’s best hotels. Located about 25 minutes south of downtown and 10 minutes from the beach, the high-end property earns its sterling reputation with an excellent international restaurant (breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included every day with this Groupon) and luxurious accommodations.
- Foodie paradise: The restaurant uses ingredients from the resort’s organic farm to prepare gourmet meals inspired by international cuisines.
- Inside or out? For each meal, guests have the option of eating in the dining room or outside in the courtyard or on the terrace.
- In-room amenities: Rooms and suites feature original artwork from Mexican artists, 42-inch plasma TVs, and views of the property.
- Cooking classes: Learn to prepare Mexican specialties from master chefs during cooking classes.
- Take a dip: There are two pools onsite.
- Art sale: Much of the locally produced artwork decorating the villas is available for purchase.<p>
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico: Tropical Paradise with Cosmopolitan Flair
Puerto Vallarta is perhaps Mexico’s most sophisticated vacation destination, with expansive beaches, trendy restaurants, and cobblestone streets leading to beautifully preserved 19th-century churches. A 16-block boardwalk known as the malecón offers unobstructed ocean views as it extends from the city center, past fountains and a famous 9-foot-high statue of a boy riding a seahorse.
Called “the most gay-friendly city in Mexico” by Frommer’s, Vallarta draws a diverse crowd of vacationers intent on relaxing during the day and living it up at night, bouncing between the city’s numerous dance clubs and bouncy castles. For a glimpse of the city’s history, head to Viejo Vallarta, also known as Old Town, where artists peddle shawls and piñatas and mariachi bands serenade couples dancing on Plaza Principal.<p>